Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting stitches, etc. etc. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-stitches-etc-etc-t98100.html)

Jeanne Fauss 02-10-2011 06:08 PM

Someone on this board told me that hand stitching should be uniform or concistent. Large stitches or all small ones, just make them all the same.

Sing 02-10-2011 07:33 PM

My HQ stitches are slow, big, and uneven. But, I am happy anyway!

grandma Janice 02-10-2011 08:37 PM

if you concentrate on consistancy it will be more enjoyable for you. that's more important than how many stitches per inch.

4boysrus 02-10-2011 08:52 PM

I agree with consistency. My first experience with hand quilting was hand stitching around the images in a pre-printed panel. I made my boys each one when they were babies. It was before I piece quilted but made many quilts tied. I like the relaxation of hand quilting and love it when I get in a groove and that is when my consistency comes.

wonderwoman 02-10-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sing
My HQ stitches are slow, big, and uneven. But, I am happy anyway!

Thanks for your input...that is the way I roll too. I love doing the "country stitch" with crochet thread...nothing even about it. I love hand quilting...it is very very soothing to me!
I LOVE the Quilting Board...you are allll the best!

bamamama 02-10-2011 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like a leather thimble with a metal plate in it. It seems to mold to my finger and I don't feel like I'm even wearing a timble. I cannot hand quilt on a frame, but I think that's unusual.

masufa 02-10-2011 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are some pic's of mine, I think the most important thing is to have the stitches even I have never been concerned with how many there are per inch.
I also have never been able to use a thimble I have tried several and always end up removing it and using my fingernail and the tip on my finger when my finger gets to sore I have to take a day off and let it heal. Super glue works will on the tip on your finger it makes the skin a little tougher, it also works for closing those little cracks I get on the edges of my nails.

original design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141693[/ATTACH]

double wedding ring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141694[/ATTACH]

katigirl 02-11-2011 01:29 AM

Aim for consistency. People say the stitches get smaller as you gain practice. Mine have never been really tiny but I try to be consistent in size. :thumbup:

Lucy90 02-11-2011 11:14 AM

I hand quilt and I just hand quilt what is comfortable for me. I don't count stitches per inch, if I did I would go crazy. I think it is all in who is hand quilting. I just like the way it looks and what it gives to a quilt.

mommafank 02-11-2011 11:30 AM

I am just learning and I just try to do it so I like it and often have to take it out and go back and try again. It would have been easy to just say forget it but I really wanted to do it so much. :)