Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting - Stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-stitches-t43246.html)

Cathie_R 04-19-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
When your underneath finger bleeds and then gets calloused you know you're through the 3 quilt layers. I can't use a thimble on that finger because I have to "feel" it go through (does that make sense?). I get about 8-10 stitches per inch but where I have a problem is at seam lines. I can't get the stitches on the bottom to come out even. Anybody have any hints on how to quilt evenly through seams? (A secret: the last time I entered my quilt in a a show, I cheated and sewed the stitches on the back at the seams.)
Thanks Vanessa for starting this topic-always can use advice for better hand quilting.

I usually get 8 to 10 stitches per inch. As to when you come to a seam, if it is kind of thick you can use a "stab" stitch for a few stitches until you get past the thick part. It works and if you are careful you can't hardly tell it from the other stitches.

wvdek 04-19-2010 04:05 PM

Well, my grandmother alway's got the most perfect stitches at 10 to the inch. I am not the quilter my Grams was. I get about 6-7.

sewcrafty 04-19-2010 04:13 PM

When I learned to hand-quilt I started by using the tiger tape. Its a tape with little black lines on it. It comes in different spacing. You just follow the spacing to get the rythym. Like down a black and up to black. It really helped out. Draw a bunch of straight lines and put the tiger tape next to it and practice.

You'll see, it'll happen! :thumbup:

Gal 04-19-2010 04:27 PM

I have just checked my quilt, yes I have only hand quilted the one, it was queen size, I have 6 to the inch, I went for regular size rather than trying to get lots of stitches per inch. It was a poly/cotton top,calico back, I used No8 Betweens needles and 100% quilting cotton thread to quilt, I am more than happy with my efforts. I am sure practice is going to make me better at it, I so loved the hand quilting, I am hooked on it now! Can't wait to get my next project finished just so as I can 'Hand Quilt'.

Gal

shaverg 04-19-2010 06:32 PM

I do somewhere between 9 to 11. It depends on the fabric and size of the needle. I usually use a tiny 12. But recently bought platinum 9 because I was having a hard time with the needle going through the batik fabric, I will not use batik again as backing. So now it is 9 or 10. The main thing is for your stitches to be uniform. I also have been hand quilting for over 25 years.

thismomquilts 04-19-2010 06:44 PM

I have tried to keep my stitches more consistent rather than smaller. In time they are getting smaller and more consistent - practice, practice, and more practice. I do use a smaller needle - actually easier to control.

bearisgray 04-19-2010 07:29 PM

Go for even - tiny stitches may or may not happen, but even, regular stitches look intentional -

I think of tiny tiny stitches as trying to run a 3.5 minute mile. I'm not going to be able to do it, but if I can WALK that mile, I'm happy.

The point is, do it as well as you can, and enjoy what you've done.

vanessa 04-20-2010 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
When I learned to hand-quilt I started by using the tiger tape. Its a tape with little black lines on it. It comes in different spacing. You just follow the spacing to get the rythym. Like down a black and up to black. It really helped out. Draw a bunch of straight lines and put the tiger tape next to it and practice.

You'll see, it'll happen! :thumbup:

Where do I get tiger tape? At a quilt shop?

vanessa 04-20-2010 04:34 AM

Thank you for all the advice. I can't wait to get started. Will be a little while as I have to finish the tops. I probably should set something up on the frame so I can practice first.

Sore fingers here I come!

sewcrafty 04-20-2010 04:54 AM

Get a nice thimble!!!