Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t114.html)

Susan F 01-28-2008 12:30 PM

I'm lefy handed and have never had a problem using a hoop unless a right handed person is sitting next to me, but I have that problem at the dinner table to. LOL. I think quilting without a hoop gives your quilting a different look then it does if you use a hoop.

Steve 01-28-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"

"What would they think of me then when looking at something less than what I’ve done for others?"
I don't think machine quilting represents something less. It is just done in a different technique. Different projects lend themselves to different techniques, and as the creator you get to chose what suits you and the project. I have been given both handquilted and machine quilted
gifts and treasure both them and their makers!

I don't really think most folks even know the difference, and think that was what Mom was saying about doing for the kids. It's that you make it that really counts.

I do want to learn to machine quilt very soon, simply because there are so many cool things to do. Honest, I've nothing against machine quilting. It's like my wanting to do a quilt pieced completely by hand sometime too, just for the experience. Gotta try it all!

joannl 01-28-2008 05:22 PM

My thought about price- if you price it too low you devalue all quilts. They are time consuming & it is insulting for people to expect you to work for nothing, would they be willing to do their job for $1.00 an hour? I don't think so.
Just my opinion.

Steve 01-28-2008 06:32 PM

Exactly joannl, I mean really, this isn't Walmart we're talkin'.!

Tiffany 01-29-2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by joannl
My thought about price- if you price it too low you devalue all quilts. They are time consuming & it is insulting for people to expect you to work for nothing, would they be willing to do their job for $1.00 an hour? I don't think so.
Just my opinion.

I have to agree completely! Hand quilting is a dying art and as such, your time and effort put into it should reflect that. If you want to make a point about how much time it takes, simply keep track while you hand quilt. I bought a great little timer from Walmart and I have used it to track both the time it takes to piece a quilt and the time it takes to hand quilt it. When you tell someone it can take 200-1000 hours to make a quilt from start to finish, it really starts to drive home to them the amount of work that goes into a quilt, which can make it more valuable in their eyes. (We already know how valuable it is!)

As for hand quilting vs machine quilting, each has their own merits and I don't view either as better than the other. It is simply a different method of reaching the same goal. If a quilt is going to get a lot of use I usually will machine quilt it. I have some quilts I am saving to hand quilt and other quilts that I am comfortable finishing by machine. If I had a long arm I would probably use that more than anything else. JM2C.
~Tiffany