Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t167252.html)

cmmcbride 11-09-2011 08:33 AM

Hand Quilting

Hi,
I have been hand quilting for the first time and I am using the warm and natural batting. I find it a little stiff when pulling the needle through the layers. If I remember correctly, I think there was a thread on what battings are best for hand quilting. Anyone have any suggestions? I do wash my quilts so I need a batting that will wash well. Thanks, Christina

ptquilts 11-09-2011 08:51 AM

I find W&N a bit stiff as well (I hand quilt) - I prefer a polyester batt. The thinner the better.

Good for you for trying it for the first time!!

judykay 11-09-2011 09:23 AM

I have used W&N for quite some time now & I hand quilt with no problem, maybe I will try the poly batting and see if I see any difference.

linda faye 11-09-2011 10:09 AM

The thinner the batter the better for hand quilting. Good luck to both of us in our learning process :)

Hinterland 11-09-2011 10:15 AM

Warm and Natural has scrim in it, which is why it doesn't have to be quilted closely. That also makes it a bit harder for some of us to hand quilt.

In general, polyester battings seem to be easier for most to hand quilt, and they don't usually have to be quilted too densely. Wool is also a good choice, although washing it might be a problem.

For cotton batting, my favorite is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon. For polyester, I like Hobbs Polydown when I want a bit of loft, and Mountain Mist Poly lite when I don't. Some quilters like Quilters Dream cotton.

I bought swatches of battings from Harriet Hargrave's store - if you google her you'll find it. They didn't cost much and gave me an idea of how they'd quilt.

Janet

Holice 11-09-2011 10:16 AM

I admire the person who can successfully hand quilt W&N cotton batting. That said, I would never recommend starting with this batting. Select one that will be easy to needle and make it easier on yourself until get more eperience. It might be just the thing for you but not everyone.

NJ Quilter 11-09-2011 10:17 AM

I hand quilt and use W&N all the time as well. Sometimes it's a bit stubborn but since I bought a bolt of it, I'm a long way off before checking out/using anything else! Needle-nosed pliers can be a great friend. I really don't have issues with the W&N but I guess it's because I don't know any better!

Iamquilter 11-09-2011 11:12 AM

I use Fairfields polyester b atting all the time and have only used the Warm and Natural when quilting for others and that is what they send me. Have no problems with either.

mmdquilts 11-09-2011 11:43 AM

I use poly batting all the time and have never had a problem with it.

Quiltlady330 11-09-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 4657522)
I hand quilt and use W&N all the time as well. Sometimes it's a bit stubborn but since I bought a bolt of it, I'm a long way off before checking out/using anything else! Needle-nosed pliers can be a great friend. I really don't have issues with the W&N but I guess it's because I don't know any better!

I hand quilt with W&N, too, because I like the look. Polyester is easier but I don't like the fibers coming through. Have you tried a finger cot when you pull the needle through? I can't quilt without one. My fingers slip too much on the needle. They're very inexpensive at any pharmacy. Even WalMart carries them.