Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t232962.html)

stillclock 10-21-2013 09:53 PM

hand quilting.

seriously. i have been doing this for years. when will i get faster?

it is truly the slowest thing ev-AR.

aileen

earthwalker 10-21-2013 10:02 PM

It's not about speed - think of it as a chance to meditate and re-charge those batteries:). Hand quilting is the best indoor relaxation activity - and you have something beautiful to show for it.

stillclock 10-21-2013 10:14 PM

my gran is 89. i know...but it had to be by hand. but....

just frustrated after having put it down over the summer i guess.

just seems kind of endless...

(this is a late night whine brought to you by relentless self-recrimination.)

aileen

earthwalker 10-21-2013 10:34 PM

As a person who is also a relentless self-recriminator I understand completely. When will we learn to ease up on ourselves!:) :)

Jackie Spencer 10-22-2013 03:21 AM

You will get there, just keep chugging on. In the end you will be rewarded with a beautiful hand quilted quilt!

ptquilts 10-22-2013 03:50 AM

just enjoy the process, it is not meant to be fast. If you were doing embroidery or needlepoint you would not expect to be zipping along.

When I was hand quilting for others, more or less full time (6-8 hours a day) I can tell you, you are prone to repetitive motion injuries if you try to overdo it.

DOTTYMO 10-22-2013 03:55 AM

I love to hand quilt and sew in the evenings.i feel that with the sewing machine in the day I am rushing to finish, can I get off the rat race. In the evening not being lazy just slowly meditating and hand sewing. I know when to stop I can't thread the needle.
Keep hand sewing it will rewRd you in the end and you will be charged for a new day.

Tartan 10-22-2013 04:19 AM

I once had a twin quilt up on a floor frame so long I forgot what I had quilted on the bottom border. :D I stick to smaller hand quilting projects now because I am so slow.

nanna-up-north 10-22-2013 05:12 AM

I'm slow as well. It takes me 3-4 months to do a quilt on my quilting frame.... and that's stitching on it a little every day. But I love to see the completed project.... really love the look of hand quilting. So, I don't hand quilt everything.... it takes too long. I do FMQ as well for the ones that aren't as 'special' to me. Right now I have a quilt on the frame that's been there over a year..... I'm gone every summer to our cabin and can't hand quilt and last winter I broke my arm. So, we just got back to our winter place and I uncovered the quilt to work on it. I've been here since Saturday night and haven't had a chance to stitch.... my 93 year old mom was in the hospital and I had to be by her side for 2 days. This quilt is taking a long time to finish.

janedee 10-22-2013 06:15 AM

Took me a year to quilt a double -- shadow quilted around all the needleturn applique first and then the background - did get a bit tiresome sometimes so then I would do something small, but such pleasure when I put in that last stitch - I hand quilt everything stops me falling asleep on the couch in the evenings ha ha