Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t290493.html)

Pennylane 08-16-2017 06:59 AM

Hand Quilting

A quick question .....wondering if anyone has used the Esther Miller's needleslide for handquilting? It looks pretty interesting and it is made out of porcelain so as not to dull your needle. I've got the Aunt Becky's tool and still trying to get the hang of it. Just would like to attain nice even stitches. I've been handquilting a lap size for about a year now and really enjoy the process but still in the kindergarten stage by the looks of it.

thimblebug6000 08-16-2017 07:15 AM

Thank you for posting, I hadn't heard of her before, and found some interesting articles. Hand quilting takes practice and even with many tools, it doesn't happen perfectly overnight. I have the Aunt Becky's and can use it when stitching straight lines but if I'm doing curves etc. I prefer just my own finger under the quilt.

Faintly Artistic 08-16-2017 08:15 AM

I still can't get Aunt Becky to even stay on my finger! :o I've developed a way to feel that the needle is through, but doesn't poke my finger. It seems like I develop a weird way of doing things that works for me...

SusieQOH 08-16-2017 08:20 AM

I'll have to look that up. Haven't heard of it.
Hand quilting for me just took practice, no other way seemed to help.
Now I'm learning FMQ- same thing. Arrrgh!! :)

Hinterland 08-16-2017 09:33 AM

I think the two tools are equivalent. I don't have Esther Miller's tool, but I've tried Aunt Becky as well as the TJ Quick Quilter and a regular teaspoon. The tip of the spoon or ridge on the Aunt Becky take the place of your bottom finger. I haven't found a way to use any of them that consistently gives me good stitches on the back, though.

Janet

tessagin 08-16-2017 09:44 AM

She has a you Tube video. Looks like a spool.

Originally Posted by Pennylane (Post 7888134)
A quick question .....wondering if anyone has used the Esther Miller's needleslide for handquilting? It looks pretty interesting and it is made out of porcelain so as not to dull your needle. I've got the Aunt Becky's tool and still trying to get the hang of it. Just would like to attain nice even stitches. I've been handquilting a lap size for about a year now and really enjoy the process but still in the kindergarten stage by the looks of it.

Pennylane 08-16-2017 12:04 PM

I appreciate all the replies. Guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. �� My stitches do seem a lot better since I've been using the Aunt Becky's. Although, I pretty much do it my way and not way she does. I still rock the needle with it but it seems to work for me.

lots2do 08-16-2017 12:40 PM

Haven't heard of that either. Someone at one of my groups just builds up layers of painter's tape on her underneath finger. Haven't tried that myself. One teacher recommended having a small practice sandwich to start quilting on for a few minutes to get back into the groove of it before going to the real quilt especially if it's been a few days since you last quilted.

NJ Quilter 08-17-2017 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 7888321)
Haven't heard of that either. Someone at one of my groups just builds up layers of painter's tape on her underneath finger. Haven't tried that myself. One teacher recommended having a small practice sandwich to start quilting on for a few minutes to get back into the groove of it before going to the real quilt especially if it's been a few days since you last quilted.

I agree with the idea of using a small practice sandwich for a few minutes to 'get your groove on' - although I never do it myself, lol. I just jump in and go. I also don't use anything on my underneath finger and just wait for the callous to build up to lessen that pain.

carolynjo 08-18-2017 06:06 AM

I use Aunt Becky's finger protector.