Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Thread Advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-thread-advice-t172859.html)

trugger 12-22-2011 10:21 AM

Hand Quilting Thread Advice?

I am starting a new hand-quilting project (posted in pictures) and am a little frustrated.

I purchased some guterman and coats & clark hand-quilting thread at Joann's last week and am disappointed with both.

The Guterman seems a little thin, and the coats & clark keeps knotting up (despite the wax i put on it).

I checked the Aurifil website for a local dealer - but when I got there, I found out that they only sell thread for embroidery & sewing, not hand-quilting.

Anyone have a brand of handquilting thread that they love?

Suggestions welcomed!

deemail 12-22-2011 10:28 AM

i quilt with whatever is around, but to keep it from tangling, thread from the other end...thread has a twist and it likes to work from one end...i honestly cannot remember which is correct, but thread the needle while it's still on the spool and see if that's right (i think it is)...if it tangles, then next time, thread after cutting with the newly cut end and see if that doesn't help....(I think it's the first as that was a common way to thread needles in the past...when leaving an elderly relative's house, we were told to thread all her needles onto the spool so she could just pull off a new length onto the next needle without having to struggle with the tiny needle eyes)...

Hinterland 12-22-2011 11:09 AM

I like YLI hand quilting thread - it usually behaves better for me. I stopped using Coats and Clarks when I found thin spots and knots a few years ago.

Like the other poster suggested, try knotting the other end of the thread - I usually knot the end I just cut off the spool. You can also try using Thread Heaven to keep knotting down, just don't do what I did and get Thread Heaven on your fingers. I couldn't get a grip on the needle, LOL.

Janet

NJ Quilter 12-22-2011 11:29 AM

I use Guterman; C&C as well as Americana (available at JoAnn's). The Americana is actually quite a thick thread and I have difficulty using it with the #11/12 Roxanne needles that I like. But I use whichever one is the color I want and mix brands within projects as well. As deemail says, thread the needle from the last cut end (first end off the spool)...it does make a difference in tangling. And I second the vote for Thread Heaven. Find it works far better than beeswax.

Val in IN 12-22-2011 05:54 PM

I use the Americana from Joann's. I thread the end that comes off the spool before I even cut it. Then I knot it and run it through Thread Heaven a couple of times. After I have run it through the Thread Heaven, I run it between my thumb and first finger, starting just below the needle to remove any excess Thread Heaven and to smooth the fibers of the thread. Works great for me.

samifel 12-22-2011 07:10 PM

I wonder if your thread might be too long. I keep my thread only about 2 feet long, any longer and I tend to have problems. I used whatever thread matches what I am doing.

LivelyLady 12-22-2011 07:44 PM

I use Americana from JoAnns. I cut it about 36 to 40 inches long, run through Thread Heaven, then I take a stitch in the quilt and pull through only about 20 inches and after I've quilted that length I go back, rethread the needle with the other 20 inches and start quilting again. I like not having to bury too many knots.

Borntohandquilt 12-22-2011 11:28 PM

I also like the YLI hand quilting thread. It's strong and sturdy and doesn't tangle or knot. Another brand I have already used is King Tut of Superior Threads. Although it is made for machine quilting (as far as I know) it also works fine for hand quilting.

ckcowl 12-23-2011 12:54 AM

as for the thread being (too thin) just pick up a heavier weight thread---even hand quilting threads come in different weights--some people quilt with a 60 wt thread-(fairly thin) some prefer a 30 wt---much heavier---which did you choose?
you can use any thread you like for hand quilting---the only *rule* is to never use a specific for hand quilting in a machine--because often they are coated and will mess up a machine---but it does not have to be specifically for hand quilting ---some people quilt with silk thread!
choose a thread you like- in the color you want---in the weight you prefer and go for it.
and to keep from tangles only use pieces about 18" long- i know there is a (want) to use a longer piece so you don't have to re-thread your needle so often---but it is faster to re-thread than it is to untangle...some people will thread 4 or 5 needles at once and have them in a pin cushion---instead of having to stop & re=thread so often- but the shorter lengths will be much easier to work with.

Hinterland 12-23-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4804443)
you can use any thread you like for hand quilting---the only *rule* is to never use a specific for hand quilting in a machine--because often they are coated and will mess up a machine---but it does not have to be specifically for hand quilting ---some people quilt with silk thread!

I haven't had good results using machine quilting thread when I hand quilt - it frays something fierce. It might be just me.

Janet