Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting thread question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-thread-question-t246631.html)

IrishNY 05-11-2014 09:48 AM

Hand quilting thread question

I don't hand quilt but am making a top to give to my mom to handquilt, since she enjoys it. I'm not sure if the thread will be white or red; will decide that later. What thread do you recommend for the quilting? Thanks.

And Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!

Tartan 05-11-2014 10:07 AM

​I prefer Gutterman's over Coats and Clark hand quilting thread.

quiltingcandy 05-11-2014 10:13 AM

I use the hand quilting thread - brand depends of the color I need. Years ago there was a store called TG&Y, they had a brand that I liked, can't remember the name. it was something like "Americana Hand Quilting Thread". But that was about 25 years ago, and haven't found it since.

ShelleyCS 05-11-2014 10:56 AM

I don't hand quilt, but instead give my hand quilting to a lovely Mennonite friend. I pay her (of course) and must provide the thread and she will ONLY use YLI quilting thread.

Terri D. 05-11-2014 11:47 AM

YLI is supposed to be good.

Kitsie 05-11-2014 12:47 PM

I use the same Gutterman's Poly that I use for piecing. If I want a more visible design, I use Gutterman's Top Stitching thread.

ManiacQuilter2 05-11-2014 01:22 PM

I use Coats & Clark for hand sewing my binding to the back. I only once hand quilted and I wasn't happy with the results. I needed time for more practice but the trouble is WHEN......

117becca 05-11-2014 01:54 PM

I know I'm picky - an only like YLI GLAZED COTTON HAND QUILTING THREAD. YLI has threads for different purposes.

Ask your Mom what she would prefer and get that.

If she doesn't care - glazed cotton in important - it threads nicely and slides thru the fabric nicely. I do prefer YLI or Gutterman because the thread is a bit heavier. YLI is also cheaper than Gutterman when you're comparing the 2 spools and account for yardage. YLI spools have more thread on them.

Unfortunately, no one sells it locally, and i do have to order it online - but the place i get it from (Rose Rushebrook) sends it out quickly and i have it w/in a few days. The shipping fees are reasonable, too.

Boston1954 05-11-2014 02:03 PM

I have about 7 different colors of the Coats and Clarks. I am happy with it, and like that the spools are color coded so that I do not accidentally use it in the machine.

ckcowl 05-11-2014 02:10 PM

if your mom enjoys hand quilting I would ask her what thread she prefers- since it is her that is going to be using it- some people really like a certain thread- others something totally different. and it depends on how you want to quilting to look- heavy thread so the quilting thread really stands out- or a finer thread so the texture shows but the thread is not as pronounced.