Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-threads-t105356.html)

Holice 03-07-2011 06:25 AM

Everyone has their favorite hand quilting thread.
However, I use the Americana from JoAnn's in my hq classes. there was a survey taken on another site 3-4 yrs ago and the Americana came up as #1. It is only .99 per spool.

Marge L. 03-07-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I use Coats & Clark 100% cotton hand quilting thread for the most part, but will buy whatever brand will match the color I'm looking for.

I did try YLI one time and it kept knotting on me. I would look on the backside of the quilt and there would be little knots under there, too. :( Hated that thread. Unfortunately, I had too much done to turn back when I finally got so frustrated with it. :(

Don't know which end of your cut thread you knot, but try knotting the opposite end. Haven't hand quilted for several years, but as I recall I knotted the end that came off the spool. It really does make a difference.

sharkee 03-07-2011 10:25 AM

Glad you ask this question.

I'm new to hand quilting and my LQS sells the Gutermann so I'm using that on the quilt that I'm currently doing and the one before that I used machine quilting thread and ran it thru beeswax.

Nice to see all the other recommendation

quiltlady37 03-07-2011 10:42 AM

I use Pearl Cotton when doing the big utility stitch. I do like the YLI for regular handquilting.

Grandma Libby 03-07-2011 11:01 AM

When you do this BIG STITCH quilting, just how big are your stitches? I wanted to do some baby blankets but am trying to decide whether to do stitch in the ditch with the machine or maybe run some of these stitches. Just curious.... THANKS for you help. Libby

Doreen 03-07-2011 11:33 AM

Superior Thread is great. They also carry silkk which is heaven!

Lobster 03-07-2011 11:50 AM

I hand-quilt but I don't use hand-quilting thread because I don't want it to be waxed/glazed. So far I've been using Cotty 30 weight, Sulky 30 weight (pretty much identical), Sulky 12 weight (bit thicker, and the end frays more) and am planning to try perle #8 for big stitch quilting (at which point my stitches will probably wobble about in size as I settle down with a new technique). I'm curious about the possibilities with the thicker threads as I'd rather like my stitches to show up more, but I don't want to make the technique harder for me. I use a big eye size 11 needle, though of course that'll be too small for the perle 8.

Is perle 12 the same thickness as 12 wt quilting thread, does anyone know?

KyKaren1949 03-07-2011 12:36 PM

I like Gutermann hand quilting thread.

If you have not hand quilted before, make sure you keep your threads separate. Never use hand quilting thread in your sewing machine!

chamby 03-07-2011 04:03 PM

So what stores carry the YLI thread? Also where on the spool is the weight listed?

vickimc 03-07-2011 04:07 PM

I love YLI for hand quilting. and their other products for peicinga and longarming. great thread. it is waxed, so doesnt tangle bad and sews easily. comes in many colors.
also their headquarters in in SC. I got a tour of the plant a few years ago.