Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand sewing quilt patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-sewing-quilt-patterns-t206059.html)

kate henry 11-15-2012 08:10 AM

Hand sewing quilt patterns

I am going to be in bed pretty soon and would love to have patterns that don't need sewing machines.My back is going to put a stop to much machine sewing. I am currently making a cathedral window and found some variations of this but would love to have some other choices. Hope this doesn't sound dumb. I will be trying to see what I can do about cutting and etc. SIL is great about things like this. Thanks for any help you can give. I know any quilt can be hand done but some would be more fun than others.

cjr 11-15-2012 08:36 AM

double wedding ring or grandmother's flower garden

Pink Lady 11-15-2012 09:16 AM

I love doing sampler's every block is different so you never get tied of one block. Also a charm quilt is nice to do using up your left over fabric.

willferg 11-16-2012 07:25 AM

Maybe a yo-yo quilt? Or some embroidery -- I've found I love redwork!

cowpie2 11-16-2012 07:35 AM

I have a similar issue, after an hour at a machine my back is screaming. I've tried every type of set up for the machine, but nothing helps. I can sit on the couch or in a comfy chair and hand sew for hours. Currently working with hexagons is my favorite. I did a slightly modified GFG in a queen size and a crib size GFG with small hexis for my granddaughter. Newest project I am trying to give a modern or manly twist to so I am using just three colors, red batik center, dark blue batik around the center to make a diamond shape and then a gray path.

But honestly, most any pattern you like you can hand piece. I use 1/4 inch quilting tape to mark my seam width when I am piecing squares and triangles.

Peckish 11-16-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2 (Post 5660821)
I've tried every type of set up for the machine, but nothing helps. I can sit on the couch or in a comfy chair and hand sew for hours.

Sounds to me like maybe it's not your sewing machine set up, it's the kind of chair you're using to sit in as you sew...?

Kate, you might check out Inklingo.com. Lots of ideas there for hand piecing, and it's actually a neat system for printing your cutting lines and seam allowances directly onto the fabric. Makes it very easy and simple to hand-piece.

Hinterland 11-16-2012 08:03 AM

If I'm hand piecing, I like to do patterns that are a bit more challenging to do by machine - mariners compass or feathered star, for example. For me, anything with triangles is easier if I sew by hand!

Applique is also a good hand sewing project.

Janet

kbonafede 11-16-2012 08:06 AM

I like two different quilts for hand piecing -- The Farmers Wife with 144 different block which are 6 inches each, and of course the Dear Jane quilt with 4 inch blocks. You may want to google both quilts, and Amazon has the books at a very low price. I think you will totally enjoy doing your hand piecing project. I find hand piecing very satisfying. I also recommend the little wooden stick for finger-pressing the seams --- it makes your work so much more clean at the seams. Tell us what you choose to do for the hand piecing projects, please.

Pat625 11-16-2012 09:25 AM

How about Hickory nuts? I bought the templates for times that I am not up and about..There is a great tutorial for using them on here...

feline fanatic 11-16-2012 09:57 AM

Winding ways, hearts and gizzards, tumbling blocks or anything with set in seams. Now is the time to try your hand at needle turn applique.

Jinny Beyer is the queen of hand piecing and she has beautiful blocks and patterns on her website (even some free)