Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand stippeling...anyone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-stippeling-anyone-t200299.html)

janedee 09-12-2012 10:34 PM

I did it once on a cushion and it came out fine I found that if I 'looked ahead' a couple of inches of where I was going it helped and sort of drew the pattern with my needle so I knew the best direction to go in - hope that makes sense, but as you are a handquilter anyway you should find it easy, I also started in the middle - have fun

Aquarius 09-13-2012 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 5509463)
I am a hand quilter. I just made a throw for a cousin.
Im planning on hq it and doing some flowers.
has anyone ever hand quilted a meandering sripple.
How does it look and do you reccomend it or should i just qitd.
Thankyou ao much

I just hand stipelied my daughters large queen quilt. It took me about 5 months but I think it came out good. I haven't taken a picture of it yet but I like it.

GemState 09-13-2012 05:11 AM

Bprntohandquilt..........that is just gorgeous!!!!

Holice 09-13-2012 05:46 AM

I judged show this week where there was one quilt with a large meandering design hand quilted. It was well done and was every effective. I also suggest using a stencil to mark the design or can draw your own to have a guide to quilt on. There are many stencils of the meandering design available. Quilters have said they start with a stecil until they get the general configuration and rhythm of the design. Also makes the overall look more consistent.

sgreen511 09-13-2012 05:04 PM

John Flynn has a book, John Flynn's Step-by-Step Trapunto & Stippling, that has a lot of different hand stippling patterns. It is available on Amazon.

honeybee_2000 09-24-2012 06:03 PM

this a beautiful stitching..:) you did an awesome job.

ube quilting 09-25-2012 04:02 PM

There is another technique called seeding which looks real cool and will be less time consuming and hold the quilt togehter too.

Hand stippling would take a long time. It is all curves back and forth around itself. I don't think I have ever seen Hand stippling though it could be done, there might be a reason why you don't see it. I think it could be striking.

Seeding is where you take the stitches in every direction, like scatterd seeds, and as long as you keep the density of the stitching uniform it looks real cool.

Let us see what you decide.. How about doing a 12" sq sample to try both out and decide from there.

peace

ube quilting 09-25-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt (Post 5510567)
I have done some hand stippling on some of my quilts to enhance the patterns. I did not use a meander line (don't like it so much) but straight lines. You can also do it in small squares, random, echo, herringbone...there are different possibilities with different looks.

Just want to say Beautiful!

batikmystique 09-26-2012 10:02 AM

Such lovely handwork...you are full of talent AND patience!

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt (Post 5510567)
I have done some hand stippling on some of my quilts to enhance the patterns. I did not use a meander line (don't like it so much) but straight lines. You can also do it in small squares, random, echo, herringbone...there are different possibilities with different looks.

batikmystique 09-26-2012 10:23 AM

It can be very beautiful but very tedious at the same time. Stitches need to be small and fairly close together in order for the pattern to be apparent...especially in the curves. If your lines are not as dense, then the stitching can be a bit larger. Hope that made sense. Maybe consider a combination of hand stitching (say for the flowers) and then machine stitching the meandering pattern.

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 5509463)
I am a hand quilter. I just made a throw for a cousin.
Im planning on hq it and doing some flowers.
has anyone ever hand quilted a meandering sripple.
How does it look and do you reccomend it or should i just qitd.
Thankyou ao much