Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Tie Quilts - Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-tie-quilts-help-t47604.html)

saraj 05-30-2010 01:35 AM

Anyone hand tie quilts? If so, what needle do you use. I've only been finding those blunt needles and they are killers to work with. Any help would be much appreciated.

debbieumphress 05-30-2010 02:08 AM

I use the biggest needles I can find with a point. All sizes depending on if you use embroider thread to tie or yarn. My group uses the crochet thread #9 and up that coms on a roll in a ball. Easy to use and goes a long way. If you look you can find packages of large needles like 5 to a pack. I made a little needle holder out of folded felt to keep them separate so I could find them to tie. Have fun

MamaBear61 05-30-2010 04:14 AM

I tie mine with yarn and therefore use a needle that is meant for needle work like crewel. This needle has a large eye and a sharp point. You usually find them in the crafting/needlework section of a craft store.

ghostrider 05-30-2010 04:14 AM

Sounds like you are using a tapestry (or darning) needle. Look for a crewel (or embroidery) needle instead. They have a sharp point and a large eye.

foxxigrani 05-30-2010 05:07 AM

I use the upholstery needles we use to baste our quilts, I find the bite they take is just right for the thread. I use crochet thread and its a lot prettier than the yarn. Since normally thats all I do do to quilts, have done a few. I am not a quilter as I have learned.

Rita

clem55 05-30-2010 05:27 AM

I use Crewel needles and Pearle cotton floss. Big eyes and strong pretty colors!

craftybear 05-30-2010 07:08 AM

I learn something new every day, thanks for starting this thread

twinstitchin 05-30-2010 07:53 AM

When I hand tie a quilt I use the 3 inch doll needles,they have a sharp enough point on them and your measuring to do your ties are already done for you. I also use embroidery floss,tie over then under and the knots will not come out. Have you tried tying with knots to the back of the quilt,this looks pretty good.

dar627742 06-03-2010 08:08 AM

idon't hand tie,but my machine has a bar-tack stitch that works great.saves lots of time,just clip threads between tacks

feline fanatic 06-03-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I use the upholstery needles we use to baste our quilts, I find the bite they take is just right for the thread. I use crochet thread and its a lot prettier than the yarn. Since normally thats all I do do to quilts, have done a few. I am not a quilter as I have learned.

Rita

Whomever taught you that you are not a quilter because you tie is wrong. Technically the definition of quilting is any means used to keep the layers of top, batting and backing together. So if you tie, do crows footing, traditional running stitch or machine quilt, we are ALL quilters. Anyone who says a tied quilt is not a "real" quilt and those who tie are not quilters really makes me angry. Who ordained them the authority to deem someone a quilter or not. GRRRR :-(