Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Tying for a Queen Sized Quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-tying-queen-sized-quilt-t178503.html)

nancylee 02-07-2012 02:05 PM

Hand Tying for a Queen Sized Quilt??

Hi Ladies and Gents (?)!
I have a Queen sized quilt I put together, I have been dreading FMQ it on my Janome. It has a big throat but it really is a disaster moving it around, and pushing and pulling and it kills my shoulders!! I will not send it out and pay hundreds of dollars for something I can do, but don't feel like doing, and I can't afford a long arm at this point, although I am tempted. I tried hand-tying a quilt last year, but it was onerous, it was a big quilt that had been bought as a top, it was vintage canvas like material. Questions: If I hand-tie this, what material is best, and also, how does it shrink compared to FMQing shrinkage. Also, does it last? Can it take the wear and tear of daily use and washings a few times a year? Thanks in advance!
Nancy

ckcowl 02-07-2012 02:14 PM

there are some pretty old tied quilts around- so i would have to say-if done correctly they hold up just fine-
many are done with regular cottons, flannels and /or wools
choosing the correct batting is important- you want one that says 'good for tied quilts' or one that allows up to 10" between quilting lines (like warm & natural)
and you want to baste well- and make your ties every 4" in a 'grid-like' pattern- the (normal) rule of thumb is:
you make a fist and place it- a tie should be touching your fist in 4 directions-top, bottom each side.
use good quality (tieing material) some people used perle cotton, some embroidery floss (all 6 plys) some use some sort of yarn-
shrinkage depends on lots of things- the fabrics (pre-washed or not?) chosen batting, the fabrics themselves....and the way it is laundered....just like any quilt.

Nanaquilts44 02-07-2012 02:19 PM

I haven't ever tied a quilt but have seen finished tied ones. I think it gives the quilt a kind of old-fashioned charm. I would imagine it would stand up to a few washings a year. The old-time quilts were tied and held up well.

nancylee 02-07-2012 02:28 PM

Thank you so much for your advice and sharing your knowledge. I think I am going to tie this quilt and see how it does. Will let you know!
nancy

AnitaSt 02-07-2012 02:39 PM

Tying the quilt sounds fine. I did one recently using Warm and Natural Batting and tying it with perle cotton. It was easy enough to do but wasn't as large as a queen.

I recently did a combination of SID and machine tacking on an almost-queen size. The blocks were about 5.5" and the batting was rated for hand tying or quilting at 4" intervals. So I did the SID and then tacked in the center of each block. The batting was Hobbs Polydown and it was SO much lighter and easier to maneuver through the machine. It will scrunch way down then fluff back up.

AnitaSt

dunster 02-07-2012 05:10 PM

Another option is to look into the various ways of quilting in sections. Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, explains how. There are ways to do it even if you've already sewn your top together.

nancylee 02-07-2012 08:18 PM

Good advice and suggestions. Thank you very much!
Nancy

JustAbitCrazy 02-07-2012 11:21 PM

Have you inquired about the cost of having a local longarmer do a simple meander for you? I doubt it's as expensive as you think. It would be beautiful, wear well, and solve the problem for you, with no aching shoulders.

sewbeadit 02-08-2012 12:55 AM

Tying is a good way to finish it. You need to make sure you use a good thread to tie with and also make the correct knots so they don't come out. I have used embroidery floss, full strength, it takes a good size needle. I have also used wool yarn, it will shrink up and make a nice tight ball and won't go anywhere. Good luck I have never had a tied quilt actually shrink up.

pocoellie 02-08-2012 06:53 AM

I've tied many a large(king) sized quilt. I use embroidery floss and I personally prefer closer ties, regardless of the batting, so I tie every 2 inches. All of the quilts have laundered just fine.