Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand work for long road trips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-work-long-road-trips-t289524.html)

Kassaundra 07-08-2017 05:07 PM

I also bring EPP w/ me for car work. No worries about car sick for me never had any kind of motion sickness ever.

Feathers-N-Fur 07-08-2017 05:24 PM

I can't read or sleep or ride in the backseat without getting car sick. However, I have no problem working on my EPP in the car. I think it is because I look up when I'm pulling the thread, I think that little bit of seeing things prevents the motion sickness. Most people think all I do is handwork because that is all they ever see me working on, but in fact I've only made 2 EPP quilts, just started my third, in 7 years. Have made many more by machine in that time.

mamagrande 07-08-2017 08:35 PM

I have done rug hooking and keep a kit ready in a bag I also do bindings. With the binding I had a difficult time sewing black on black with black thread..but any other color I did fine. I have a small panel that I am big stitch quilting and that has travel far and wide with me.. Since I don't travel much anymore I take it to the doctors appointment and it's almost finished.

I can read, sew and sleep in the car in fact my DH prefers that I keep busy because otherwise I am directing his driving :) which he does not like :mad:.

petthefabric 07-08-2017 11:23 PM

A small size project. Good value contrast. No dark on dark. Have project well organized in little baggies with thread and hand tools you use. It's hard to look outside on a sunny day and then adjust to lighting inside the car.

I don't get car sick. Except when my father drove. He was always in a hurry. I seemed to get the center seat in the back with my brother irritating me....for his entertainment.

Jane Quilter 07-08-2017 11:47 PM

If it is more than a 2 hr trip, I always have a go bag. Any small hand work will do, ePP, YO YOS, quilting, applique, hand piecing, embroidery. My Dear Jane quilt was almost entirely a go bag project.

jmoore 07-09-2017 02:28 AM

I have a few embrodiery blocks from the Pat Sloan's Splendid Sampler that I have worked on this spring both in the car and on an airplane.

Faintly Artistic 07-09-2017 02:39 AM

I'm traveling now...I brought several Dresden plates that needed to be appliqued to their background fabric and I embroidered each blade crazy quilt style. My DD ended up doing some as well.

zozee 07-09-2017 02:44 AM

I like to save my doll quilt bindings for road trips. I thread several needles ahead of time . I like to wear the stick-on thimble pads so I don't lose a regular one between the seat and door or have to fetch one rolling around the floor.

sandy l 07-09-2017 03:32 AM

Knit discloths

ptquilts 07-09-2017 04:23 AM

I always did hand work in the car while DH was driving. Mostly knit or crochet, tried quilting but it was too bumpy and I like my stitches nice and even and small. Made 58 crazy quilt blocks and did all the embroidery in the car.

I miss that now that DH is gone and I have to do all the driving - I didn't realize how much time I was able to spend doing hand work in the car.