Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handi quilter 5' quilting frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handi-quilter-5-quilting-frame-t288551.html)

Butters2013 05-27-2017 07:12 AM

Handi quilter 5' quilting frame

Hi,

A lady in my area is selling the Handi Quilter 5' quilting frame. She uses it with her HQ Avante 18'. She said if I purchase a tray and handles I can use it with any machine. Is this accurate? I have a Juki F300. I don't want to purchase the frame to find out it doesn't work with my machine.

ckcowl 05-27-2017 04:10 PM

It is the carriage that travels on the frame tracks ( assuming that's what is being called the tray) I would visit the Handiquilter web site and find out if the handlebars can be attached to your machine. I have an Avante the handlebars are bolted to the machine and the machine fits the carriage. Handiquilter has great customer service, they can answer your questions.

quiltedsunshine 05-27-2017 04:36 PM

No, that wouldn't work. You'd need to add some way to control the speed of the machine. The HandiQuilter is attached to the carriage and handlebar controls. There's a "SureStitch", that's made by The Grace Co, that you could add, but it's about $350 - $400, and is made to attach to a Grace frame and carriage.

Colorful1 05-27-2017 04:48 PM

I have an HQ Simply Sixteen on the 5' Little Foot frame, and I also have the JUKI F600 sewing machine which is the same body as your F300. Imo, the F series machine would not work on the frame because of its small harp space, if for no other reason. The take-up pole requires space in the machine's harp, leaving you little, if any, room to quilt.
I don't know if there are carriages available to accommodate non-HQ machines for this frame.

Butters2013 05-27-2017 08:36 PM

Thanks. I think it's too risky. I may need to purchase another machine with a frame to use for quilting instead of finding a frame to use for my machine. I really want to start quilting my own quilts, but don't like moving the fabric. I prefer to move the machine.

What would you recommend for machine and quilting frames combos's for $2k or less? I would love it to have a stitch regulator.

Feathers-N-Fur 05-27-2017 08:47 PM

If you are up for payments, Sewing Machines Plus offers 0% financing. That is how I got my Tin Lizzie. I think you will be hard pressed the find anything other than a short arm for under $2k. And there is a reason there are so many short arms for sale on Craigslist. I recommend either saving a little longer, or financing either a mid or longarm.

Butters2013 05-28-2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 7832682)
If you are up for payments, Sewing Machines Plus offers 0% financing. That is how I got my Tin Lizzie. I think you will be hard pressed the find anything other than a short arm for under $2k. And there is a reason there are so many short arms for sale on Craigslist. I recommend either saving a little longer, or financing either a mid or longarm.

Thank you for your advise. I never thought of it that way. There are many short arms listed on the resale market but few if any mid/long arms.

SherB 05-30-2017 05:51 AM

I bought my HQ Simply 16 with the little foot frame last year. It has been perfect for me to learn on. I don't have room for a larger frame. HQ does have great customer service. I think it would be unwise to purchase a frame without the specific machine it is built for.