Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handi Quilter long arm..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handi-quilter-long-arm-t227958.html)

girliegirl 08-14-2013 01:28 PM

Handi Quilter long arm.....

does anyone have a Handi Quilter 16 or 18 avante? if so how do you like it... are you happy? Looking for a longarm..

ckcowl 08-14-2013 02:09 PM

I've had my HQ for almost 10 years so far- even though I would like to upgrade sometime in the near future I have to say it is still working well- I've had very few problems with it over the years. when anyone is looking into purchasing a long arm I ALWAYS recommend visiting every different dealer you can find, check out quilt shows with different machines set up- try them out- then purchase the one that you like best- meets your needs & fits your budget- it is a large investment and much like buying a car- should be researched & 'test-drove' to get the one that is right FOR YOU. most of the dealers I have visited have a machine all set up & loaded up for customers to try out- some shops even offer a certification class where you learn the machine- then you can rent time on it to quilt your own quilts.

AliKat 08-14-2013 04:25 PM

I have the HQ 16 with ProStitcher and love it. Have been doing small charity quilts but now have 2 larger quilts to do......

QuiltNama 08-14-2013 04:46 PM

Have the HQ16 and love it. I tried many different LA's and decided the one I purchased was one of the easiest to operate and there was a local shop to take it in case of needed repairs. Would not hesitate to buy another one. I also quilt for others.

mighty 08-15-2013 06:46 AM

I have the Babylock Crown Jewel, same machne as the Avante. I love it!

cmw0829 08-16-2013 03:41 PM

I purchased a used Avante in April. I've done probably 10 quilts on it so far and it's been very good so far. But I agree - go visit a show and try them all out - if you haven't so far. Good luck.

cathyvv 08-16-2013 04:23 PM

I got a used HQ16 3 years ago. I am delighted with it. It's on a frame and I use a pcquilter with it and only do edge to edge quilting. Haven't had a problem with it - except for pilot error at the beginning and a few brain farts.

watson's mom 08-16-2013 06:44 PM

I recently bought the HQ Avante , and I love it. I have only done about 3 real quilts and a few practice pieces but it is smooth as silk. I had a problem with tension and called the dealer who happened to be on vacation so called Head Office. They had a tech. call me right away and walk me through it. Turns out I had threaded it wrong. Great customer support IMHO. There are so many how-to videos on Youtube as well, it's like having a quilting teacher in your sewing room. I am so happy to have it but wish I had bought it sooner. Good luck in your search.

omaluvs2quilt 08-16-2013 09:46 PM

I have the Sweet 16 sit down and love it. I've test driven the Avante and that was my dream machine, but I just don't have the room for such a large frame. I took a class using the Lizzie and it didn't seem as smooth and sturdy as the Avante. I also test drove the sit down George and it was nice, but much pricier than the Sweet 16. On occasion when I use a LA quilter, she has the Gammill with the Statler and does amazing quilting, but very pricey and huge! Everyone is different, so test drive them all and then decide : )

GypsyRse1 08-17-2013 01:41 PM

I got my HQ 18" Avante 10' frame (no pro-stitcher). We are still becoming friends but I love it...local dealer gave me a deal and I went for it.... I will tell you that I did my homework on the other brands out there and this is the one I fell in love with....