Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handiquilter vs Babylock vs Viking Mid and Long Arm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handiquilter-vs-babylock-vs-viking-mid-long-arm-t244222.html)

Camille 03-30-2014 08:47 PM

Handiquilter vs Babylock vs Viking Mid and Long Arm

Today I had the opportunity to sit thru a demo for the Viking sit down 16" mid arm. I am on the verge of purchasing either a sit down or 18-24" long arm. I would love to hear the opinions of whoever owns one as I respect the talent on this forum. I was told all 3 are made by the same manufacturer in Utah. It appears the 16" are all very similar. I'm leaning towards the Handiquilter as they have been around the longest. I also will most likely purchase from the dealer that I usually buy all my machines from who I feel has the most experience in repairs. I already have a Viking Mega Quilter with a frame and stitch regulator, but I only use it for piecing. Today's dealer is offering the Viking for $5999 with the table, mat, stitch regulator and 4 yrs financing. They will also give a full 1 yr trade in to upgrade to a long arm. The reason why I ask is in case I come across a used machine and have to make a quick decision. TIA.

Dolphyngyrl 03-30-2014 09:07 PM

handiquilter sweet 16 and babylock tiara are the same machine, not sure about the other

scrapykate 03-31-2014 02:28 AM

I have the tiara and love it. I don't like the stitch regulator as you have to hold it under the fabric while you quilt, so just use it without and keep my stitches pretty even.

romanojg 03-31-2014 03:44 AM

I think that if Viking's sit down is 5999 that's a good price. I love my Viking, including my mega quilter. I'm eventually going to get the sit down because my back won't let me stand too long. You might also check out using a bar stool on wheels so that you aren't standing as much. I've seen LA frames with a seat attached but not sure how much that would cost. Normally Viking's financing is interest free.

ohstr 03-31-2014 03:51 AM

I have the HandiQuilter Avante and am totally pleased with the machine. I had the HQ 16 and upgraded this winter. Using a sit down machine you still need to make your quilt sandwich...with the Avante ...no more sandwiching. By using a quick load system on the Avante ....quilt is loaded in 5 - 10 minutes at the most. Good Luck with your decision.

alleyoop1 03-31-2014 04:53 AM

Everyone is going to tell you their machine is the very best. But that isn't going to answer your questions. When I was deciding I tried both sit down and long arm. I found that it is more natural to "draw" designs with stitches when you are moving the "pencil" - needle than when you are moving the "paper" - fabric. Only you know which is better for you. As far as size get the largest machine you have room for and can afford so you don't regret it later.

Mariposa 03-31-2014 04:59 AM

I have an HQ 16, and I do love it! It is a great machine. I have not had any issues with it. Easier for me physically to load a quilt on it, rather than having to horse a bunch of fabric and batting around to squeeze under a needle.
Do check out machines, ask questions, and demo if you can. :)

CorgiNole 03-31-2014 09:06 AM

I have the HQ Sweet Sixteen and love it (Babylock Tiara is the same machine, and I suspect the Viking sit down that you looked at is also made by Handiquilter. I haven't confirmed it, but I've seen it at a couple shows now and it looks identical to the HQSS). I did by my HQSS without the stitch regulator and have not regretted that decision.

I prefer moving the quilt under the needle to driving the machine over the quilt. (Though I would love to be able to skip the basting).

Cheers, K

Milli 03-31-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Camille (Post 6652817)
Today I had the opportunity to sit thru a demo for the Viking sit down 16" mid arm. I am on the verge of purchasing either a sit down or 18-24" long arm. I would love to hear the opinions of whoever owns one as I respect the talent on this forum. I was told all 3 are made by the same manufacturer in Utah. It appears the 16" are all very similar. I'm leaning towards the Handiquilter as they have been around the longest. I also will most likely purchase from the dealer that I usually buy all my machines from who I feel has the most experience in repairs. I already have a Viking Mega Quilter with a frame and stitch regulator, but I only use it for piecing. Today's dealer is offering the Viking for $5999 with the table, mat, stitch regulator and 4 yrs financing. They will also give a full 1 yr trade in to upgrade to a long arm. The reason why I ask is in case I come across a used machine and have to make a quick decision. TIA.

I have the Babylock Tiara, made by Handiquilter, it is a dream to use,
almost no learning curve.

Camille 04-02-2014 06:17 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I will be visiting MQX next week and hopefully I can test drive all of them. I can't wait to get one.