Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handprint quilt made by kids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handprint-quilt-made-kids-t113864.html)

betlinsmom 04-05-2011 08:19 PM

I need info on what type of paint to use for my SS class to put handprints on a quilt for a very sick classmate of theirs. I appreciate the vast knowledge in this group and I also appreciate your willingness to share!! Thanks in advance!

frugalfabrics 04-05-2011 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never used the paints, but I did do handprints on a family quilt. I had each member trace their hand on the paper backing of wonder wonder fusible webbing. I had them write their name inside their hand, so I knew whose handprint it was when I went to place it on the quilt.

I then adhered the fusible webbing to fabric and cut out handprints. Each person signed the front of their hand print. I'll post a picture of the quilt so you can get an idea.

connie d 04-05-2011 08:47 PM

Sorry I can't help with that. I think frugalfabrics handprint quilt it's stunning.:):)

Cherylsea 04-05-2011 08:50 PM

We painted everyone's hand with fabric paint and pressed the hands onto sweatshirts. That was 15 years ago and the sweatshirts are still in good condition.

Painiacs 04-05-2011 08:54 PM

I did a shirt like that sell fabric paint at michaels. My kids r grown and grand
Ma still wears it!!

jdiane318 04-05-2011 08:54 PM

Something that we have done is to take fabric marker, Crayola makes some great ones, allowed the children to draw their own hands on 6½" muslin/cotton blocks, let them decorate their hand anyway they choose and sign their block, heat-set the blocks, add sashing to your layout and sew your quilt together. Children love to know that other children care about them.

Painiacs 04-05-2011 08:56 PM

Hope the classmate gets better! Will pray Nice for kids to do! Helps with their anxiety over sick friend plus show compassion to others! Good for them and you!
Good luck

fabric whisperer 04-05-2011 09:48 PM

you CAN use the regular acrylic paints ~ BUT you have to mix them with "textile medium" 1:1 ratio I think. Craft stores sell it, so you can make the regular little bottles of paint into fabric paints (usually cheaper than buying actual fabric paints)

Kas 04-05-2011 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
you CAN use the regular acrylic paints ~ BUT you have to mix them with "textile medium" 1:1 ratio I think. Craft stores sell it, so you can make the regular little bottles of paint into fabric paints (usually cheaper than buying actual fabric paints)

This is what we did when my daughter was in kindergarden. It worked out well. The most important thing I learned was to have the kids wash their hands BEFORE they made their prints as well as after (obviously). I had one of the prints develop some weird brown spotting. Dirty little hand!

bamamama 04-05-2011 11:20 PM

Very neat idea!