Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handquilting probelm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handquilting-probelm-t80695.html)

eaglebeak1960 12-06-2010 09:25 AM

when I used to hand quilt I used beeswax on my thread... I tried it on the needle one time it seemed to slide thru better.. also used moleskin on my fingers to help prevent sore fingers..

keolika 12-06-2010 12:55 PM

I have been using flannel for batting for table toppers, place mats and wal quilts, pretty easy to hand quilt.I see lots of other hints that I plan to use , like the rubber tip finger thing, I am picking one of those next trip to town.

Rita

crankygran 12-06-2010 01:14 PM

You can try usung a needle grabber that helps pull the needle through. I usually use a childs balloon cause with all the Grands I seem to have a lifetime supply.

P-BurgKay 12-06-2010 04:16 PM

I have to agree with you, I made a table cloth and used warm & natural, I put 2 or 3 holes in a new silver thimble, I hand quilt exclusive, and I don't believe I will ever buy warm & natural again. It is too hard to hand quilt.

keolika 12-06-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
when I used to hand quilt I used beeswax on my thread... I tried it on the needle one time it seemed to slide thru better.. also used moleskin on my fingers to help prevent sore fingers..

Also if you don't have beeswax rub your thread with a dryer sheet.

Farm Quilter 12-06-2010 09:58 PM

I always use wool when I hand quilt - the lanolin in the wool helps the needle go through smoothly.

BrendaB 12-07-2010 11:10 AM

I have only used W&N, so have nothing to compare to, but I have a question about the wool. When you use wool, does that mean you cannot wash it? My only experience has been one lap size, one queen size, and a few doll quilts, but used the same batting in all. I found some little disks that are sticky on one side to go on my finger that really helped with the pain thing. I tried several thimbles, but couldn't feel the needle well enough with them. I should probably say that I'm a stabber too and that probably makes a difference. I bought some of the John James double needles (sharp on both ends with the "eye" in the middle), but haven't tried them yet.

aorlflood 12-07-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
I have only used W&N, so have nothing to compare to, but I have a question about the wool. When you use wool, does that mean you cannot wash it? My only experience has been one lap size, one queen size, and a few doll quilts, but used the same batting in all. I found some little disks that are sticky on one side to go on my finger that really helped with the pain thing. I tried several thimbles, but couldn't feel the needle well enough with them. I should probably say that I'm a stabber too and that probably makes a difference. I bought some of the John James double needles (sharp on both ends with the "eye" in the middle), but haven't tried them yet.

The new wool battings are machine washable in cold water and then lay flat to dry or line dry.

gangles 12-07-2010 07:35 PM

Needle oil on a cotton ball to stick your needle in and out of a few times will help the needle glide through the fabric better.

suebee 12-08-2010 08:26 AM

It seems like the twin needle would be difficult to control. Do you use just like a normal HQ needle?