Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handquilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handquilting-question-t520.html)

kathy 02-20-2007 07:36 AM

I can't make that rascal stay in the right place, it either turns or just pops off the end of finger. I've gotten used to the metal one and don't even notice it anymore
kathy

k_jupiter 02-20-2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can't make that rascal stay in the right place, it either turns or just pops off the end of finger.
kathy

You probably forgot to attach the lederhosen type suspenders to your thimble.

*L*

tim in san jose

kathy 02-21-2007 04:55 AM

splain yorself tim. it has a tiny peice of elastic to tie the two ends together, what else are you supposed to do other than slide it over your finger?

patricej 02-21-2007 07:46 AM

he was just being his usual smarty-pants (but completely adorable) self and teasing you.

i tried the leather thimble, too, and had the same problem you did.

i haven't yet found a thimble that worked for me. but ... i'm 99.999999% sure the problem is me - not the thimbles. except for the "fact" that they all seem to be designed for little-bitty women with teeny-tiny fingers. all but the thumb-size are too small; thumb size is too big. adjustables cut off my circulation. can't win.

i just live with the pain and hope i don't bleed all over it when i stick myself. :shock:

kathy 02-21-2007 07:50 AM

patrice...thanks for clearing that up. it's what i thought but weren't fer sure

k_jupiter 02-21-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
he was just being his usual smarty-pants (but completely adorable) self and teasing you.

i tried the leather thimble, too, and had the same problem you did.

i haven't yet found a thimble that worked for me. but ... i'm 99.999999% sure the problem is me - not the thimbles. except for the "fact" that they all seem to be designed for little-bitty women with teeny-tiny fingers. all but the thumb-size are too small; thumb size is too big. adjustables cut off my circulation. can't win.

i just live with the pain and hope i don't bleed all over it when i stick myself. :shock:

Thank you Patrice. I tried putting a thimble on my Bernina but that didn't work so well either.

I do have a book on hand quilting, but so far, the urge hasn't hit me.

I finished cutting out all the squares for making my flying geese this morning before work. Dang, these people seem to think they won't pay me if I don't come to work.

Well, off to program some robots.

tim in san jose

zyxquilts 02-21-2007 11:23 AM

When I got what my Dr. called a "fissure" in my heel from a cracked callous, he told me to use a lotion called "Amlactin". It's not a prescription lotion, but I did get it from my pharmacist. It worked like a miracle! The crack was so painful it hurt to walk - and since I am a diabetic, any foot thing is scary - and the Amlactin softened my heel overnight! It worked on my fingertips too. I'm kind of picky about lotions, and I have to say that I didn't like the way it felt on my hands, but boy does it work! My "usual" hand/body lotion is "Udderly Smooth" udder cream - not greasy or smelly & soaks in really fast & doesn't make my hands feel sticky. Hope this helps!

patricej 02-21-2007 02:13 PM

I know how it is, Tim. My boss also seems to have this strange notion stuck in her head that i should not only come to work, but do my job while i'm there. Confuses the heck outa me, I must say. never heard of anything so illogical.

k_jupiter 02-21-2007 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
I know how it is, Tim. My boss also seems to have this strange notion stuck in her head that i should not only come to work, but do my job while i'm there. Confuses the heck outa me, I must say. never heard of anything so illogical.

Don't they know we have important quilting to do?

tim

mimisharon 02-24-2007 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can't make that rascal stay in the right place, it either turns or just pops off the end of finger. I've gotten used to the metal one and don't even notice it anymore
kathy

I like a leather one for catching, sometimes. Kathy, put that baby in water then mold it to your finger. I like the metal on the pushing finger, cause those betweens can catch under the nail sometimes, but if it's really leather, soak it in water then mold, as it dries, continue to make sure it's drying to your finger size. Waala, it will stay on. If it doesn't mold to the finger........it's not really leather.

Boy Scouting comes in handy for some things! :)