Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handquilting Thread issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handquilting-thread-issues-t293922.html)

MaryKatherine 01-08-2018 08:24 AM

Handquilting Thread issues

1 Attachment(s)
The picture is as magnified as I can get it. It appears at the eye, the needle has passed through the thread in its entirety. This is YLI 40 thread. In order to salvage the thread I have to manually work the needle back through the thread. I didn't have this problem in my last quilt. This is new thread different colour. I've tried waxing the thread with some result. I'm not putting the needle through the thread when I stitch. That's all I know. Any ideas?

Boston1954 01-08-2018 09:45 AM

Is the thread splitting or breaking off when you are stitching? Or did you accidentally stitch in the wrong place?

MaryKatherine 01-08-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7979222)
Is the thread splitting or breaking off when you are stitching? Or did you accidentally stitch in the wrong place?

No I'm not stitching through it. It doesn't break but it appears as though the needle has pieced the thread at some point and pulled up to the eye so the thread will not advance. I would swear I don't stitch thru it.

Genden 01-08-2018 10:21 AM

I use YLI thread for quilting and have had no issues. The thread I use says on the end of the spool, YLI Quilting Thread. On the other end of the spool it says 40/3ply and 100% Glazed Cotton.

MaryKatherine 01-08-2018 11:29 AM

That's what I'm using.

feline fanatic 01-08-2018 11:39 AM

I have had that happen and for the life of me couldn't figure out what caused it. How I solved the issue is I made sure to re-position where the needle was on the thread with every stitch. So I would slide the needle down just a bit after every needle full of stitches or after every other needle full. Its been quite a while since I hand quilted so I can't remember how many stitches I would load up before pulling through. I think it was maybe 7 or 8?? My best guess is that the needle eye was wearing through only one of the plys of thread. So the needle was still threaded but the thread was stuck right where it was and I couldn't move the needle's position on the thread.

If it is happening every stitch, you may have a burr in the eye of your needle so maybe try setting that particular needle aside and trying a new one out of the package. If the problem goes away, toss that other needle. Otherwise the only solution I had for it is what I explained above.

MaryKatherine 01-08-2018 05:21 PM

What you say makes sense. When I conscientiously do that I have no problem. I guess what bothers me is I didin't have this issue with a different spool. Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy! LOL

Geri B 01-09-2018 05:32 AM

Can you just unthread that needle rather than try to back track thru that line of thread? I don't use that thread for hand quilting, altho I have not h/q in awhile. I have used the h/q thread from hif and am pleased with it. I knew a group of h/q-ers who melted wax then dipped their whole spools of thread into it...I don't know what kind of thread they used, but it looked like just C&C type spools......they've done that for years.......lost contact with them

luvstoquilt 01-09-2018 05:43 AM

I think your problem is the needle and not the thread. I love YLI and use it or I wax my thread (other brands but always hand qui,ting thread).

MaryKatherine 01-09-2018 05:59 AM

I considered changing needles but the other brand I have, 'James' drive me nuts because they squeak (that's another tale.) I think feline fanatic hit on the head for me. If I check and advance the thread regularly I have no issues.