Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hanging fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hanging-fabric-t54414.html)

amma 07-14-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jststampin
I never even thought about it stretching. Now to decide what to do......hmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I think unless you hang it dead on straight of grain across the entire width, it will stretch and warp because of the weight pulling on the weave. Stacking is much safer for fabric storage.

I agree... especially if it is stored this way for longer time periods. :D:D:D

StitchinJoy 07-14-2010 08:26 AM

I hang lots of long yardage on those multiple bar hangers made for slacks. I have several of them, with about 3-4 yds on each bar. This way, one hanger holds about 15 yds. I buy this long yardage for kid quilt backings or for borders.

I have used lots of yardage stored this way and never had a problem with stretching.

littlehud 07-14-2010 12:06 PM

I never thought of hanging fabrics. Oh well I don't have a spare closet anyway.

greenfairy 07-14-2010 12:18 PM

Much to my husbands dismay, I leave my fabric on my bed, floor, nightstand, kitchen table - pretty much anywhere there is a flat surface. So I'm open to suggestions too! :-D

ann clare 07-14-2010 12:49 PM

Must give it a go. Sounds real good.

TerryQuilter 07-14-2010 03:14 PM

I have a friend that hangs her UFO's on hangers in her "Quilt" closet. If she has the backing for it, she hangs that on the hanger also. :-)

StitchinJoy 07-14-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TerryQuiklter
I have a friend that hangs her UFO's on hangers in her "Quilt" closet. If she has the backing for it, she hangs that on the hanger also. :-)

I'm a longarm quilter and I hang all my client quilts in the workroom closet on cardboard-covered extra-wide drapery hangers from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply Company. >>>
http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_1_hangers.html

renee765 07-14-2010 04:56 PM

[/quote]Most of my stash is under 2 yards each, most about a yard. Renee765 - what size is your larger piece that you referred to?[/quote]

I have a couple of 4 yard pieces hanging for at least two years and they are just fine. The lengths are folded to about the length of a dress.

If hanging fabric warps and stretches it, why do we hang clothing? Wouldn't that warp and stretch, too?

lab fairy 07-14-2010 08:37 PM

Please be careful using the cardboard from fabric bolts. It is not always acid free. I've been seeing some fabrics (LQS and others) that show ghosting where you can tell what area was around the board edges. Ghosting is when you see lines on the fabric and it always shows up more the closer to the cardboard core of the bolt. You never know exactly how long fabric has been on a bolt in a warehouse in all sorts of conditions and reusing those cardboards for your loved fabrics isn't the best idea. I'd hate to hear of someone's favorite fabric decaying because they inadvertently kept it on one of these cardboard pieces.

All Thumbs 07-15-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Please be careful using the cardboard from fabric bolts. It is not always acid free. I've been seeing some fabrics (LQS and others) that show ghosting where you can tell what area was around the board edges. Ghosting is when you see lines on the fabric and it always shows up more the closer to the cardboard core of the bolt. You never know exactly how long fabric has been on a bolt in a warehouse in all sorts of conditions and reusing those cardboards for your loved fabrics isn't the best idea. I'd hate to hear of someone's favorite fabric decaying because they inadvertently kept it on one of these cardboard pieces.

Oh My GOSH......I have some thimbleberries on some cardboard bolts! I will double check that. Never gave it a thought since they came from a very fine fabric quilting shop locally. Thank you so much. I will change some bolts to only my charity quilting fabrics which are of lessor quality and is used up quickly.

One learns so much from these threads. Thank you.