Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hanging a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hanging-quilt-t2172.html)

vicki reno 09-06-2007 03:36 AM

We are putting the binding and hanging sleeve on our church quilt. It will hang along one of the long sides (90"). My question is----Is using about a 3 or 4" piece of pvc pipe and using fishing line at each end to hang it going to give it enough support or do we need to run more fishing line at points in the middle also? I figured line at each end, but others are worried that it will sag once it is suspended from the hooks with only 2 lines. I thought that the pvc pipe would prevent that from happening. Anyone have any theories or experience in hanging a quilt? The quilt measures 70" by 87" and it is viewed from the side--a pictorial quilt. Everyone raved over how good a job the quilter did, and it is a knockout. I'll post a picture of the qork in progress this weekend.

kathy 09-06-2007 03:48 AM

I think you should use something solid all the way thru, like a wooden rod or a good curtain rod (round). Haven't done it but it sounds good to me.

vicki reno 09-06-2007 04:43 AM

We discussed that method also, but am not sure which is best or if a closet pole (dowel rod) comes in such a long length.

patricej 09-06-2007 04:58 AM

closet poles are up to 16' long at the lumber yard. i don't know the max length of pvc. doesn't really matter because you can buy little devices to join the lengths and make it as long as you like.

fishing line? in the middle? i'm confused by the description of the way you're planning to hang it, so i hope this is helpful: run the pole all the way through the sleeve. hang it from the ends of the poles. it won't sag anywhere. if you' want to stabilize the bottom, too, then put another sleeve there and run a length of pvc. heck. you could put sleeves on all four sides and make a pvc frame for it. hang it from that. problem solved.

vicki reno 09-06-2007 05:07 AM

That was what I had in mind, but some of the ladies were worried that if we didn't use something in the middle, it would sag. This will hang on a wall below a huge a/c vent/duct--There are eye bolts already screwed into that frame work because that is how they hang other things in the church such as banners and wreaths. There are 5 eye bolts altogether and I thought that using strong monofilament line at each end would be good enough. I have also learned that there are different grades of pvc pipe . I am going by a qult shop after work tonight to get their input also. I have no idea at this point what I am doing. Any quilts I have ever done have gone on a bed or baby bed not the wall.

Cathe 09-06-2007 05:22 AM

For quilts over 50" or so, I use a split sleeve so the rod can be supported in the middle as well as on the ends. I simply make two shorter hanging sleeves (instead of one long one) and leave a gap of a couple inches between them. I usually use a narrower dowel and support it with a cuphook or nail in the middle; you will need something a little heavier to support such a thick dowel.

I wonder if it mightn't be better to use a piece of wood - like a 1" x 3" trim piece instead of a round pipe. The quilt would hang flatter (no round lump at the top) and you could support it with a nail in the middle.

vicki reno 09-06-2007 05:49 AM

Thanks for the input. I am worried about the middle of the quilt sagging once it is hung and thats why someone suggested using monofilament line sewn around the pvc or dowel with a curved needle to help support it at this point. This line would then be attached further up the wall to an eye bolt already in place. This quilt will hang in the sanctuary and to the right of the altar. That fact alone blows me away because we figured it would be in the parish hall not the church itself. How big a piece of pipe or dowell is sufficient to hold it up? Meaning what diameter?

amma 09-06-2007 12:16 PM

wherever you go to purchase the dowel or pvc will be able to help you determine the diameter that you will need, they just need to know about how much the quilt weighs.

QUILTNUT 09-10-2007 04:58 PM

I'VE USED 1" DIAMETER PVC PIPE BEFORE TO CONSTRUCT EL-CHEAPO CURTAIN RODS FOR FULL LENGTH DRAPES AND FOUND AFTER A WHILE IT BEGINS TO SAG IN THE MIDDLE

kathy 09-11-2007 03:36 AM

there are different grades of pvc, some are thicker and heavier, hot (cpvc) is smaller but thicker walled