Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hanging a quilted wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hanging-quilted-wall-hanging-t110611.html)

madamekelly 03-26-2011 03:21 AM

I just buy a pretty curtain rod, and hang my wall hangings that way. I like the movement in a breeze.

MYWR 03-26-2011 03:34 AM

I just saw some hangers in the Keepsake Quilting catelogue (probably website too) what for longer/larger wuilts you attqch tot he wall and they pinch/grip the quilt. i am doing a wall hanging that is 12 feet long and that is the only hway I can think of hanging it - just another idea

Mkotch 03-26-2011 03:36 AM

For small hangings, I don't bother with the sleeve. I just pin a couple of straight pins, usually the ones with glass heads, through the hanging and into the wall. I try to make sure the whole thing is straight, of course. :-)

jtquilts 03-26-2011 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay
This is how I hang mine. Too late for your hanging this time, but maybe next time! You can hang the dowel on a pushpin or small nail.

I have just begun hanging my smaller wall quilts this way and I like it very much!

Kutnso 03-26-2011 04:52 AM

Very attractive method and lovely wallhanging.
Congrats, Kutnso

Yooper32 03-26-2011 05:19 AM

I have also used a yard stick, cut to size necessary to put in the rod pocket and on the ends, drilled a small hole which will go over two small nails in the wall. You will have to make the rod pocket a bit shorter than the width of the hanging, but you see no visual hanging device this way.

Baloonatic 03-26-2011 05:58 AM

If I may make a suggestion, I highly recommend that any wood that touches your precious quilts be sealed first, varnish is one choice. Prolonged contact with raw wood will stain fabrics.
I hang my quilts with strong fishing line (monofilament) on each end of the hanger rod so the support is invisible

Homemother 03-26-2011 06:02 AM

Thank you! Good advice! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
If I may make a suggestion, I highly recommend that any wood that touches your precious quilts be sealed first, varnish is one choice. Prolonged contact with raw wood will stain fabrics.
I hang my quilts with strong fishing line (monofilament) on each end of the hanger rod so the support is invisible

j 03-26-2011 06:03 AM

I needed these ideas - Thanks -- J.

carolstickelmaier 03-26-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieTQD
The dowel will need to attach to something on your wall. Sometimes you will see a shelf with a dowel underneath it that works as the hanger.

I use a black curtain rod (you can buy them at target, home depot, etc.) to display my quilts at home. They usually will have some packages of rings with small clips that you can buy in addition to the curtain rod.

I like the above but now have found rods that ar similar but are made to hang from ceiling or wall. There are clips screwed to wall and you snap the rod into them. The clips on the rings them clip the quilt to it. It hangs much straighter and close to the wall..Leaves no room for waving. I bought mine at Menards