Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hanging Quilts for Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hanging-quilts-pictures-t248033.html)

Boston1954 06-06-2014 03:57 PM

Hanging Quilts for Pictures

It's just an observation on my part.

Considering the amount of work that goes into them, I cannot understand why I've seen so many laying on grass, over wooden fences, and even dangling in the snow.

It makes me think of the movie "How to Make an American Quilt". The ladies got the thing all done, gave it to the girl, and she has it wrapped around her shoulders walking down the driveway dragging it in the dirt.

Am I getting old, or is it that not everyone appreciates it?

DebraK 06-06-2014 03:59 PM

If it's used and loved, I'm happy. Oops, that was a observation about what happened in the movie. Talk about missing the point ;-) Sorry.

I don't have a problem with those photo set-ups. I doubt the quilt is being damaged.

ManiacQuilter2 06-06-2014 04:00 PM

It isn't easy taking pictures. I usually put mine up on the design wall. You might be worried for nothing because there may just be a sheet under the quilt.

nativetexan 06-06-2014 04:14 PM

I used to always hang mine on the clothes line but found they look so much better when draped over the bench, etc. And yes, my jaw dropped when i saw that quilt being dragged in the dirt. yeppers, it got me quite upset!!

snow 06-06-2014 04:42 PM

I was also wondering if she was going to pick up the quilt and. Get it out of the dirt. Love the show. Though.

meyert 06-06-2014 04:49 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but sounds like something I would not like to see...a quilt in the dirt? but then some people have "picnic quilts". I try to hang my quilts for pictures but I don't have a good way to hang one so its nice and flat and in good light.. .I am working on that

Jan in VA 06-06-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6747888)
If it's used and loved, I'm happy. Oops, that was a observation about what happened in the movie. Talk about missing the point ;-) Sorry.

I don't have a problem with those photo set-ups. I doubt the quilt is being damaged.

I agree DebraK.
The used part I have a problem with is when I see one under the furniture in the back of a pickup truck or under a car in the garage/yard with the oil being changed! :mad:

Jan in VA

onaemtnest 06-06-2014 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think I understand your statement and I personally love to take my completed quilts out for a ride in mountains or country side and take pictures of them in interesting places. Below is a picture the quilt I made for our 46th wedding anniversary the Carpenter's Wheel. The Arkansas Crossroads was going to be a quilt just for me, then the floods in Colorado last September destroyed our friends home so it was meant to be for them.

The location for the photos was "The Old Stone Church" built in the late 1800's and never occupied as the local predominant religion at the time didn't like another faith coming to town. It is quite often used as a backdrop for bridal pictures...and I'm sure there is worry about a wedding dress being damaged too :0)

I've never had a quilt harmed by a brief draping, laying or hanging in an interesting place, (to me) of course I'm careful when placing them.

So for me, and I need to say I AM old :0) finding unique backdrops to showcase my quilts is indeed one of things my husband and I enjoy so much. I must also say, that none of my quilts are quilt show bound nor will any ever be in any competition, they are made for friends and family and my quilting is a my pleasure as I learn more and more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]478183[/ATTACH]

quiltjoey 06-06-2014 05:23 PM

I think your quilts are beautiful and love the way you have showcased them. I don't have much room or a whole wall to show any I make. I just use my queen bed but it doesn't do them justice. The natural daylight really show yours off!

Originally Posted by onaemtnest (Post 6747977)
I think I understand your statement and I personally love to take my completed quilts out for a ride in mountains or country side and take pictures of them in interesting places. Below is a picture the quilt I made for our 46th wedding anniversary the Carpenter's Wheel. The Arkansas Crossroads was going to be a quilt just for me, then the floods in Colorado last September destroyed our friends home so it was meant to be for them.

The location for the photos was "The Old Stone Church" built in the late 1800's and never occupied as the local predominant religion at the time didn't like another faith coming to town. It is quite often used as a backdrop for bridal pictures...and I'm sure there is worry about a wedding dress being damaged too :0)

I've never had a quilt harmed by a brief draping, laying or hanging in an interesting place, (to me) of course I'm careful when placing them.

So for me, and I need to say I AM old :0) finding unique backdrops to showcase my quilts is indeed one of things my husband and I enjoy so much. I must also say, that none of my quilts are quilt show bound nor will any ever be in any competition, they are made for friends and family and my quilting is a my pleasure as I learn more and more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]478183[/ATTACH]

DebraK 06-06-2014 05:30 PM

or under a litter box? first quilt i ever gave mom ;-)