Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   happy go lucky (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/happy-go-lucky-t87068.html)

jcp51542 01-02-2011 01:01 PM

Hi I am new here and I am having a problem with threading my machine as I have celebtral palsy and have been quilting for sometime now. I also have a hard time cutting squares as my hands are not always doing what I want them to, they seem to have a mind of their own ha ha lol.

I wish to continue to quilt but need some help! Your website is just so full of beautiful quilts that I myself would like to make and maybe some day will.
Thank you and God Bless
Janette

erstan947 01-02-2011 01:06 PM

I'm not much help for you but I do want to welcome you to the board. there some machines that have thread guides. Also you can purchase pre-cut squares or other shapes on line or at your local quilt stores. Hope this helps some.

jcp51542 01-02-2011 01:16 PM

Thank you for welcoming me to your board. I have heard about this cutting squares but do not know where and if I am being charge for this as I am on a tight income and cannot afford to pay extra to have this done I have quite a bit of material and need some one who could cut them out for me.
I just brought a Brother machine but I am not able to thread so l might have to return it and see if l can fine something else that is easier to thread. I do wish I knew someone who could help me choose a machine that would work for me.
Janette

Up North 01-02-2011 01:21 PM

Maybe a machine with an automatic threader My Brother has one you just have to push a button. Love it!

ann clare 01-02-2011 01:25 PM

Welcome from Ireland. Hope you get the help you require on the board. Sorry that I am no help.

dixiebelle162002 01-02-2011 01:36 PM

Welcome! I have MS so I can have empathy with some of your difficulties. My hands shake badly at times and I have a hard time trying to cut my fabrics too. My husband helps me with this, but I am trying to manage to do some of it by myself. I bought a "safety handle" type thing at a retail store that has suction grips on the bottom that I put on my measuring rulers to hold them in place while I cut. I am very slow and sometimes it takes me a couple of attempts.

Linda Loo 01-02-2011 01:51 PM

I'm another MS patient so I feel some of your frustration! I do love my self threading machine.

GloBug 01-02-2011 02:02 PM

Placing a piece of white paper os felt behind the eye of the needle helps to see it and makes it easier to hit the eye when it isn't blinking. Hope this helps

GloBug 01-02-2011 02:04 PM

Placing a piece of white paper or felt behind the eye of the needle helps to see it and makes it easier to hit the eye when it isn't blinking. Hope this helps

Raggiemom 01-02-2011 02:16 PM

How about buying layer cakes or charm packs when on sale or off ebay? Is there a LQS near you that you could rent time on an Accuquilt to do the cutting? As for threading the needle, my mom used to have some kind of little doo-hickey that helped thread needles but I don't remember what it was called. If you do trade in your machine, maybe you could find one with an automatic threader. Hope some of this helps.