Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Happy Sigh..... I Love This Quilting Thing! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/happy-sigh-i-love-quilting-thing-t155128.html)

Christine27 09-23-2011 03:50 AM

I did my first "real" quilt on our new long arm. I got some dvds last summer and finally watched one before I started on the quilt. I didn't get what "rulers" were for until I watched it on the video. Then, I got on the board and read someone's idea for newbies to just grab anything around the house with the right shape, to practice using rulers before investing a ton of money in rulers we may or may not use. Good advice! Now, I know a little better what kind of rulers I want to invest in first - right angle, stitch in the ditch, and a circle or something for continuous curves.

I fantasize about being able to make some extra $ quilting. (That's usually about the same time I'm considering making a career change!) For now, though, I'll settle for the happy glow from learning something new and fun and creative!

leatheflea 09-23-2011 03:56 AM

I too use anything I find around the house for templates. You might check out finishing touches website they have a few templates at fairly reasonalble prices. I would love to have some gadgetgirls templates but way out of my price range.

Tinabodina 09-23-2011 03:58 AM

I haven't watched all my videos yet, but I am close to taking the next big step. You have encouraged me. Thanks

grann of 6 09-23-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Christine27
I did my first "real" quilt on our new long arm. I got some dvds last summer and finally watched one before I started on the quilt. I didn't get what "rulers" were for until I watched it on the video. Then, I got on the board and read someone's idea for newbies to just grab anything around the house with the right shape, to practice using rulers before investing a ton of money in rulers we may or may not use. Good advice! Now, I know a little better what kind of rulers I want to invest in first - right angle, stitch in the ditch, and a circle or something for continuous curves.

I fantasize about being able to make some extra $ quilting. (That's usually about the same time I'm considering making a career change!) For now, though, I'll settle for the happy glow from learning something new and fun and creative!

I love your term "fantasize" because that is what I do too. I got my long arm in April and have mastered meandering quite well. I just bought some templates last weekend for mastering feathers, flowers, and a nautilus shape for mastering curves. I don't think I will EVER be good enough to make it into a business. I can't believe the learning curve attached to long arm quilting. Good Luck!!!

JenniePenny 09-23-2011 04:19 AM

Sounds like you're happy and having a good time. That is just the best feeling. Enjoy!

Painiacs 09-23-2011 06:21 AM

Good luck and have fun!!

Lacelady 09-23-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I too use anything I find around the house for templates. You might check out finishing touches website they have a few templates at fairly reasonalble prices. I would love to have some gadgetgirls templates but way out of my price range.

Could you give a link to Finishing Touches, I googled, and nothing seemed likely. Thank you