Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-blades-t185051.html)

vivianv 04-07-2012 06:07 PM

When I had a problem with them cutting I discovered that I had two blades stuck together. After making a correction for MY problem, they work great and last longer than the ones I get at the LQS.

Annya 04-07-2012 07:21 PM

I wonder if the Harbor Blade company has found out that quilters are buying the blades and has some how changed the edges and maybe made sure they are blunter so you cannot cut fabric just so you stop buying them. I cannot get them here in Australia so I am not effected but it could for all of the USA quilters. the carpet people will not need the blades to be THAT sharp. Just a thought to consider. I have read a lot of people having DULL problems, especially with the newer orders. Just a thought.

Peckish 04-08-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Annya (Post 5124786)
I wonder if the Harbor Blade company has found out that quilters are buying the blades and has some how changed the edges and maybe made sure they are blunter so you cannot cut fabric just so you stop buying them.

That makes absolutely NO sense. Why would a manufacturing company change their product so people STOP purchasing them???

quiltinglady-1 04-09-2012 04:57 AM

I can't imagine why they would want to do this because it would be just like shooting themselves in the foot. One thing they have done is to go up on the price of them. They were 2/1.49 and now I think they are 2/1.99.

Originally Posted by Annya (Post 5124786)
I wonder if the Harbor Blade company has found out that quilters are buying the blades and has some how changed the edges and maybe made sure they are blunter so you cannot cut fabric just so you stop buying them. I cannot get them here in Australia so I am not effected but it could for all of the USA quilters. the carpet people will not need the blades to be THAT sharp. Just a thought to consider. I have read a lot of people having DULL problems, especially with the newer orders. Just a thought.

Michellesews 04-09-2012 05:39 AM

Karol:
The first time I used them I was disappointed, and then I realized that two had stuck together with the coat of oil that surrounds them. Once I put only one in, it worked great and this was an Olfa cutter, not that it matters. I tried to buy more on my last trip, but I guess the word is out in El Paso becasue the shelf was empty!
Sorry one of the tips disappointed you, but here is another. I will not be buying blades for a very long time because I purchased the blade sharpener wtih the grinding stones that sends the blade around as sharpens it. A blade can be sharpened on this over 100 times and it only takes 30 seconds. If it has a nick in it from running over a pin, it will not help much, but just for dull blades, it is the champion. I picked mine up, new, on Ebay for $50.00. It should pay for itself in about 6 months...but I am a longarm quilter and I quilt and cut something every day, so it may not pay for itself as quickly for others.

jimsjunque 04-09-2012 05:52 AM

My 'Olfa' handle is very old; early 1980's. I just replace the blade when it gets dull. Anyway,I am very used to the way this product works, how to change the blade , ect.... not new to me. I purchased several packages from Hb. The blades do not fit on my handle.It will not roll to cut.I suppose that if I had another cutter, I could try them on another handle, but I am very happy with what I've used for many years.I can cut fabric using either hand sucessfully with my 'Olfa' and found that when I had oppertunity to use another product I wasn't as sucessful.
Whoever said, Take them back for refund, is correct.