Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight & Rotary Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-rotary-blades-t311042.html)

liking quilting 05-18-2020 01:48 PM

Bought some at a H.F. store within driving distance. Thrilled at the price, very disappointed in performance. Not worth the money; but perhaps I got a bad batch. It soured me on every going back to buy any more. I'll buy the expensive ones from now on and I'm planning on getting a blade sharpener.

SusieQOH 05-18-2020 03:41 PM

Ugh! I tried them once. You know my answer!! :)

GEMRM 05-18-2020 04:17 PM

I personally have had great luck with Harbour Freight blades, I always go get some when I'm in the US. I've never had them shipped to me so I can't speak to that.
In the 10+ years I've been using them, I have only once had one that wasn't good.

As an alternative, maybe ask for on line purchase options from board members (i.e. other sources) - I know some people have a favourite retailer where they bulk buy something like 100 or 50, and they are quite happy with their blades they order.

auntdeb 05-18-2020 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8386360)
I haven't ordered anything from Habor Freight online before, so I can't say anything about their shipping department. But a few years ago I bought their rotary blades, the same ones you are describing, and I was not impressed. The blades were skipping continually and were so dull. They weren't worth even the couple of dollars I spent. Maybe I just got a really bad pack, but I personally won't bother with them again. Just my experience.
​​​

Ditto for me. I bought some years ago when people were just finding out about them at Harbor Freight. They were soon sold out. These purchased ones were great but I think they realized how many they could sell to quilters and the ones they've had since then have been absolute (excuse me) crap. Don't waste your money. I couldn't use any of them. They were not sharp and kept skipping. Very disappointing. Sorry.

mjkgquilt 05-18-2020 05:13 PM

I wonder if they are dull because they are meant to cut carpet. Just a thought. I buy my blades at a LQS or Joann's.

ILoveToQuilt 05-18-2020 05:42 PM

Don't waste your time or money. I've used them and threw them away after they wouldn't cut through a single layer of fabric cleanly. Skipped like crazy. Not worth the time nor effort to try them. JMHO.

Jingle 05-18-2020 06:12 PM

Never tried them, I did try some years ago that some on here were very good. Not my experience at all. None of them were sharp. Now I only buy Fiskar and eat the $3.60 each.

mermaid 05-19-2020 01:20 AM

There must have been an awful lot of us that got a "bad batch", LOL. Such a waste of our money! They are prob fine for rough cutting carpet. One experience (5 blades) was enough for me. The blades are made for carpet, not fabric.

SusieQOH 05-19-2020 05:53 AM

I've had good luck with Quilters Cut on Amazon- great prices and do the job.

RuthiesRetreat3 05-19-2020 08:56 AM

The only time I tried HF blades was a horendous waste of time and money. I couldn't even cut through one layer of fabric. Tried all 4 blades. None worked.