Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harder surface better for pressing?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harder-surface-better-pressing-t239715.html)

copehome 01-26-2014 06:59 PM

Harder surface better for pressing??

It is time for a new ironing board cover for me - should I take this opportunity to replace the old foam underneath with just a layer of batting over the metal? Should I create a wood "layer" over the metal & then cover that with batting? I don't want to make a "big board" that fits over the ironing board because I still have to iron things with sleeves & I don't have the room to store it when not is use!! I use steam nearly all time, if that makes a difference. What do you think - is a harder surface better for pressing?

Prism99 01-26-2014 07:18 PM

Yes, in my opinion a harder surface is better for the kind of pressing we do when making quilts. Sharon Schamber has some Youtube videos on how to make portable ironing boards, and she recommends a harder surface.

irishrose 01-26-2014 07:28 PM

I like a harder surface for quilting, but no steam.

Jackie Spencer 01-26-2014 07:41 PM

Harder surface is much better, and I use steam!

ragamuffin 01-26-2014 07:43 PM

You should be using cotton batting or several layers of an old flannel sheet. Regular poly batting can melt if ironed over and over. The cotton will become hard but the steam will go thru, that is why holes are in the bottom of a metal ironing boards. I have my Grandmother's wooden board, and my Mother's, and then my metal one that I got in 1962 when I got married. Since I have a summer cottage, I use Mother's there because I piece quilts there as well as work on curtains, do hems for my extended family, and do upholstery, pillows' etc. To me, my iron must steam, not shut off, and I always have a backup. Good luck with your board!

cathyvv 01-26-2014 07:44 PM

It depends on the ironing board. My metal one has 'dips' in it where the metal supports are and therefore doesn't give a smooth ironing surface. I had my DH put together a couple of bedroom end tables, separated enough to fit a chair between, and laid a board over them. Made my own padding (you'll need several layers) and covered it in some upholstery fabric that goes well with our living room. I like ironing on the smooth surface much more than I liked ironing on the store bought ironing board. When my 'grands' are visiting, the iron is put away and a computer sits on it so that I can monitor their use of it.

I use this set up because my fibromyalgia and arthritis sometimes flare so that I can't stand very long. It's working out well for me.

You could just attach a board to the top of your ironing board and cover it to get a straight surface. We were going to do that, but this looks much better.

Cybrarian 01-26-2014 07:47 PM

Harder surface, my husband made me a big board that fits over my ironing board-stays there all the time, I use the small ironing board our son took to college if I need to do shoulders or sleeves, the rest works fine on the corner.

Lori S 01-26-2014 07:56 PM

I like a harder surface. Too soft and my fabric stretches in the loft.

mighty 01-26-2014 08:44 PM

I perfer a harder surface.

NJ Quilter 01-27-2014 02:16 AM

I just use an old towel, doubled, on top of my cutting table for ironing when quilting - and sometimes for clothes! Do the same thing with a folding tv tray when doing pp'ing. Or I can use either/both without the towel for cutting. On my regular cutting table I have the mat on the left end of the table and the doubled towel on the right side so I'm not moving either/both all the time. It's not the biggest of either work surfaces but if I need either one to be larger for some task in particular, I can do so easily. For clothing, I have a small typical style ironing board that DH made for me that attaches to a closet door in the laundry room and folds up when not in use. That I just use a store-bought ironing board cover which is a little softer than what my towel ends up being after lots of use. Then I just grab another towel, fluff it up a bit and use that on the cutting table.