Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anybody enlarged a finished quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anybody-enlarged-finished-quilt-t160778.html)

Just Jan 10-16-2011 05:27 AM

You folks are wonderful! I'm sure I can do it now, due to your descriptions! ;o) But I do love those pix, if you want to post any! Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions and info. jan

Just Jan 10-16-2011 05:34 AM

[I have done that, just as you mentioned. I cut a piece of backing the same size as the border. Sewed it on with the backing right side to the back of the quilt and the border right side of the quilt front. In other words the quilt was sandwiched between the backing strip and the border. Using spray adhesive I inserted the batting and then quilted it. So two long sides and then the two short sides. Bind as usual.[/quote]

I've got it! I wasn't thinking about adding the extension to the back at the same time as the new border, then inserting batting. Sounds so easy, thanks to your directions. Can't wait to try it. Thanks again. Jan

QuiltnNan 10-16-2011 06:07 AM

i love this topic. i have learned so much from y'all. thanks!

Barb_MO 10-16-2011 08:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mommamac
a timely question - I just completed a quilt that seems short & was thinking of attaching a bedskirt for extra drop length.
The suggestions given here are helpful - thanks to all.

I did that to a customer's quilt. It was hand quilted and too small for her bed. I can't remember exactly how I did it though. I also made her a bed skirt and pillow shams to go with it.
Here is a photo of the completed project.

completed after adding a ruffle on the quilt and with the bed shirt and shams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272348[/ATTACH]

Just Me... 10-16-2011 08:33 AM

Depending on the quilt and the pattern, you could enlarge it using a quilt-as-you-go technique.

Just Jan 10-16-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me...
Depending on the quilt and the pattern, you could enlarge it using a quilt-as-you-go technique.

Thanks for the pix. I like the ruffle idea, too.

JUNEC 10-16-2011 09:28 AM

I would use the quilt as you go method -

quilterella 10-17-2011 01:37 AM

I had to do this to one of my quilts this spring. I added two more borders after it was quilted. I cut off the binding and then added the borders like Quilt as You Go, or flip and sew. I needed to make it a Cal Kin instead of queen. It worked out quite well and no-one knew the difference.

Wendys Quilts 10-17-2011 02:30 AM

Great question!

Cris 10-17-2011 04:20 AM

My mom had made me a queen sized log cabin for my bed and then I got a king. So she added a couple of borders with batting and backing to fit my new bed. S yes it can be done. My quilt did not have binding, so I believe it was called the birthing method where you sew around and then turn right side out. We cut the edge open and added the new, just like it was part of the quilt.