Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anybody ever seen a WONKY Attic Windows? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anybody-ever-seen-wonky-attic-windows-t72070.html)

borntoquilt 10-24-2010 02:22 PM

I have some darling RJR "Monsters in the Closet" fabric. It is of multicolored funky monsters.(cute ones!) They are printed squares outlined in black and are NOT SQUARE. Would it look weird to intentionally make them wonky? Would it ruin the look of the Attic Windows overall look! I think if I intentionaly turn the monster @ a 45 degree angle or less, put my side and botton strip on, then square up the outer sides - it SHOULD work but I am afraid it will like I screwed up and it was not PLANNED. What do you all think???? Hope I made myself clear! Thanks!

ktbb 10-24-2010 02:49 PM

sounds like it might work..why not try a sample in some scrap fabrics to make sure it comes out like you think it will.

SaraSewing 10-24-2010 02:51 PM

Go for it! (but the rule is that you have to show us, even if it turns into a mop rag)

madelinkk 10-24-2010 05:11 PM

It's a great idea.

borntoquilt 10-24-2010 05:23 PM

I have spent so much time working on the MATH for this today that I feel like SARASEWINGS CAT !!!! Gonna take this to my quilting group on Thursday and see what they coem up with... keep you posted and I promise a picture - good or bad! :shock:

stewyscrewy 10-24-2010 05:24 PM

I have done it with a cousins quilt, had to fussy cut out all deer to make his quilt I used the fussy cuts for the center block of a log cabin type blocks.

borntoquilt 10-24-2010 05:33 PM

stew! I had that thot! but I thot it would be cool to have the "MONSTERS" looking in the windows! My DGS is 6 yrs old this month and I know he will LOVE the colors and not care if the monsters are "wonky' or not. Just Gramma (me) having a BRAIN STRAIN on what "I" wanted. Who knows, tomorrow I just might make it a log cabin and REST MY HEAD......

ktbb 10-25-2010 03:34 AM

sometimes it's best to forget the math and just see what happens. Why not cut each monster bigger than you need it for the final block, add larger than necessary side and bottom strips then just use a square ruler and twist it to get your wonky look before cutting the block to the final size.

Murphy 10-25-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Go for it! (but the rule is that you have to show us, even if it turns into a mop rag)

Way too funny!!

klgreene 10-25-2010 08:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just finished a quilt for DGD and mailed it on Friday. I fell in love with that material. I think that you can do just about anything you want with it because it is all different directions. So I just made squares, and used that for the backing. I think it's one of the cutes material out there.

Closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107741[/ATTACH]

full lap size
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107742[/ATTACH]

front, showing back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107743[/ATTACH]