Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-been-burned-buying-sewing-machine-ebay-t157137.html)

Prism99 10-01-2011 08:05 AM

Not eBay, but I purchased a white featherweight in its case off the net years ago. Most people don't know how to properly ship a sewing machine. Mine was shipped inside its case (bad, bad, bad) so it arrived with the case damaged from the machine moving inside it. I had paid for insurance, so I had to file a claim with the shipper (can't remember now which shipper it was) to get some compensation for the case. It really was the seller's problem for not packing correctly, but the shipper did pay for the damage.

I think it's okay to buy a machine off eBay provided the seller has excellent feedback. Before ever bidding, you need to email the seller to find out how the machine will be packaged. If it comes with a case, the case should be shipped as a separate package. The machine itself should be "double boxed" with lots of padding. Sellers who routinely ship machines are much more likely to know how to properly package a machine for shipment. Others may be willing to package properly once they understand the need.

Don't buy unless you can have the shipment insured.

Havplenty 10-01-2011 08:08 AM

i bought one older machine on ebay and the seller did not accurately describe the condition of the machine. i returned it to the tune of almost $30.00 shipping charges but did get my money back.

i have bought many things on ebay and for the most part have been very satisfied. i have sold many things on ebay and had only 1 bad review but that jerk did something to the product and would not tell me what.

when you buy product unseen you will always be taking a chance. but ebay offers you protection and promises to refund your money. so i would say give it a try.

loves_2_quilt 10-01-2011 11:29 AM

I want to see and sew on any machine I buy so no Ebay for me.

Jim's Gem 10-01-2011 11:34 AM

I bought my Bernina 630e on e-bay about 4 1/2 years ago. Had a great experience. I was scared to death. It was sold thru an "I Sold It" shop in Florida. I am in California. It was shipped in the original boxes that were packed in additional boxes. The machine had hardly been used. No time on the Embroidery and only a couple hours on the sewing machine itself. Got a great deal on it. But it was a scary time waiting for it to arrive after spending $2,700 on it.

Love angels 10-01-2011 11:42 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I am looking at getting an embroidery machine with a bigger hoop size. Have been looking on ebay to see what prices are like. After seeing all the responses, I am still scared. but looks like for the most part good turn out. Just need to get insurance for sure. I need to go to the sewing store to check them out too. I also found good prices at overstock.com

jlm5419 10-01-2011 11:50 AM

I have bought machines on ebay. One in particular was a Singer 99 in a bentwood case. It was poorly packed and arrived damaged. The case itself was damaged, and the machine was not working. I ended up replacing the needle bar and painting the machine. It works now.

I did notify the seller, telling him that I could not leave positive feedback because of how the machine arrived. He did not respond.

The last machine from ebay was an early birthday present from DH. It arrived very well packed with no damage.

lalaland 10-01-2011 12:08 PM

I bought 3 Brother VX machines on Ebay, 2 were in terrible condition, I had one rebuilt and use the other for parts. The sellers in both cases gave me a full refund on the machine (I still paid the shipping) and that worked out ok for me since they were pretty inexpensive. The 3rd machine arrived in excellent condition. I also purchased a Singer Rocketeer which arrived in excellent condition and 2 Bernina Deco embroidery machines, also in excellent condition.

So all in all, I've had really good luck and wouldn't hesitate to purchased more.

Monroe 10-01-2011 01:16 PM

I purchased 1 machine off EBay- a lovely Damascus head. Well- it was poorly packed for shipping so the the base broke completely from front to back through the feed dogs, and torqued the mechanism below. I was heartbroken, but after a bit of pestering the seller refunded the purchase and shipping. Have been afraid of shipping since. I'd previously purchased 2 treadles as pickups-not quite as nice as pictured, but considering the price acceptable since I'd driven over an hour for each.

valsma 10-01-2011 01:20 PM

Check seller feedback. It is there for a reason. Then follow your gut feeling when purchaseing.

Candace 10-01-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Love angels
Thank you for asking this question. I am looking at getting an embroidery machine with a bigger hoop size. Have been looking on ebay to see what prices are like. After seeing all the responses, I am still scared. but looks like for the most part good turn out. Just need to get insurance for sure. I need to go to the sewing store to check them out too. I also found good prices at overstock.com

Insurance does nothing for you if it's pre-packaged incorrectly by the seller. USPS will deny 90% of insurance claims because packages aren't packaged to their checklist(long and very specific) and will deny most claims. So, be sure to pay via paypal and they will refund your money if ebay won't.