Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-done-t159098.html)

stitchengramie 10-09-2011 02:24 AM

I am thinking next year on going on a quilting fabric shop hop in Texas. Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it worth it.

quilticing 10-09-2011 03:07 AM

When I used to travel with hubby, I tried to find every fabric shop on the route. So much easier now days. There's a couple of fabrics I wish I'd picked up then that still come to mind.

ckcowl 10-09-2011 03:19 AM

shop hops can be lots of fun- you get to visit a number of different shops and see different lines/ and people - every quilt shop is different and offer different things- it's not like visiting joannes where you find the exact same selection across the country.
quilt shops are usually fairly small- have limited resources and carry what the owner/her customers work with most-they are more *personal*
some of the larger ones may seem to carry everything but you still find they are more personal- with a personal (flavor) to them- it is always fun to visit different ones and see what others are doing :)

no1jan 10-09-2011 03:54 AM

I've been on one in New York. I found it a lot of fun, plus I found some great deals including Paula Vaughn Cross-stitch pamphlets for $1.00 apiece. These are pamphlets of Vintage Sewing Machines which I collect.

A lot of great deals on fabric also, plus I received a fat quarter and block at each shop.

TanyaL 10-09-2011 04:06 AM

Just where in Texas are you planning on going? The El Paso to Dallas trek is about an 11 hour drive without stops. The Amarillo to Houston is about the same. If you find yourself just traveling through Texas and want to stop at the quilt shops that are on your route you will quickly find that you enjoy going to quilt shops or that you don't. Texas quilt shops are no different than the ones in other states. If you are planning a vacation to visit most of the ones in the state, then my goodness, you are going to be spending big bucks on gasoline. Either way, driving in Texas is not quick as the state is large.

alikat110 10-09-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Just where in Texas are you planning on going? The El Paso to Dallas trek is about an 11 hour drive without stops. The Amarillo to Houston is about the same. If you find yourself just traveling through Texas and want to stop at the quilt shops that are on your route you will quickly find that you enjoy going to quilt shops or that you don't. Texas quilt shops are no different than the ones in other states. If you are planning a vacation to visit most of the ones in the state, then my goodness, you are going to be spending big bucks on gasoline. Either way, driving in Texas is not quick as the state is large.

thank you, Tanya, i was gonna point this out also. Texas is HUGE....you better plan on an extended road trip