Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone else ever done anything like this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-else-ever-done-anything-like-t54907.html)

Dee 07-20-2010 08:35 PM

Hubby bought me a filet glove. These are real horrible painful stories. I sewed my finger once and the needle broke off in my nail. Carried a dent in the nail for years. Had to pull it out with a pair of pliers. Home alone and was connected to the machine. We do forget we have power tools and dangerous tools we work with.

mimiknoxtaylor 07-21-2010 03:56 AM

Been there! Last month 6 yr old grandson was watching me cut out a pirate quilt for him & I took a minute to educate him on the sharpness of the rotary cutter & told him never to touch it. Well, there was more than one cutter sitting there & while I was using one he had picked up another without me seeing. Next thing I knew, my daughter was beside me asking how come he was bleeding. Good thing I'm a retired RN with a large first aid kit.

patsyo56721 07-21-2010 12:04 PM

I have heard that your saliva will take the blood out, that is if it is your blood. I have not have this happen but a friend of mine did.

CorgiNole 07-21-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Keep a bottle of "New-Skin" handy. It makes a liquid bandage over cuts, and you can go right back to sewing afterwards. It also helps the cut heal VERY quickly.

It does sting ... sometimes you want to run in place and scream like a little girl! LOL! ... but the stinging stops after a minute or two. :mrgreen:

My son had a cut under his toes. We used New-Skin and I don't think he has forgiven me yet. Had quite a few choice words to say about the stinging. Something about Fire & Brimstone...

Fortunately, I haven't sliced myself with a rotary trimmer yet, though I did staple my hand in the fourth grade.

Cheers, K

Lori L 07-21-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
I have heard that your saliva will take the blood out, that is if it is your blood. I have not have this happen but a friend of mine did.

No.......that is not true.

Connie Merritt 07-21-2010 06:53 PM

I poked my finger with a needle and it did bleed a bit and also onto the material (white) that I was working on. At that time, a lady quilter told me that my saliva would removed the blood as long as it was MY blood and MY saliva. She told me to keep putting my saliva on it until the blood was gone. I did what she advised and ALL of tne blood was gone. Also, I have performed this a few more times (clumsy me) and I have to say it always worked. Please, I do not want anyone to get hurt or pierced with a needle. Just something I was told, I did it and it worked.
Thanks for all the advise I have received on this site.

Lori L 07-22-2010 03:43 AM

Peroxide works the first application and then you don't have to keep "spitting" on your quilt. LOL

montanablu 08-04-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Peroxide works the first application and then you don't have to keep "spitting" on your quilt. LOL

YUCK! (the spit, notthe peroxide) :?