Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever added Crochet onto a quilt.. sounds crazy I know... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-added-crochet-onto-quilt-sounds-crazy-i-know-t192879.html)

kountrykreation 06-27-2012 04:23 AM

Wow! It's gorgeous. I agree w/QuiltE, leaving it as is, and using it as a coverlet on her bed. Just beautiful as is

alleyoop1 06-27-2012 04:26 AM

Just remember that crochet cotton doilies need to be ironed when washed because they "shrink" up. So if you want to use it as a quilt, you will need to do a lot of stitching to keep the doilies from shrinking and shifting.

Toni C 06-27-2012 04:32 AM

I think the tablecloth idea is PERFECT! It makes a beautiful tablecloth that I would treasure if it was given to me. My Mother used to crochet things like this also but I never got anything when she passed. :-( I was never shown how so I couldn't even join them like you did! That way the project will look just like she wanted to look. Just on the table, not the bed.

mummadee 06-27-2012 04:36 AM

I have 2 of these crocheted pieces from my great grandmother. The lacier one, like yours I use as a tablecloth. The heavier one is a bedspread, and boy is it heavy! Takes the place of a quilt, but my husband HATES it, says it reminds him of the xray apron they put on you when you go for x rays. Hence it is called the "lead sled," and remains at the foot of the bed. So I'd consider the heft of whatever you decide to do with this piece.

bearisgray 06-27-2012 04:46 AM

I also like the tablecloth idea - and plastic on top of it to protect it! (Gasp!)

It's too pretty to languish in a box in a closet somewhere.

I do vaguely remember those crocheted things being stiffly starched and stretched. I also remember those sheer curtain stretchers! Wicked things with those sharp things around the edges.

annthreecats 06-27-2012 05:09 AM

I love the crochet work your mother did. I, too, would leave it as it and just use it on the dining room table or as decoration. It's beautiful.

Jackie Spencer 06-27-2012 05:11 AM

I have sewed small individual crocheted doilies, onto my crazy quilts. I use a matching color thread and start in the center and do it by hand. Your Mother did beautiful work.

mannem 06-27-2012 05:23 AM

I cut apart a "find" into 4 inch circles. Of course it wasn't anywhere as nice as your table cloth. The circles were sewn as snowflakes onto a Christmas landscape quilt.

Bobbielinks 06-27-2012 05:28 AM

It is so beautiful I would want to use it as a tablecloth instead of the quilt.

delma_paulk 06-27-2012 08:02 AM

So beautiful! I, too, would use it on a table over a colored tablecloth; or, use as is across a bedspread. Sewing it down on fabric it will pull when it is laundried and be distorted. When I have my crocheted table cover cleaned I send it to the cleaners and ask them to starch heavily before ironing. The starch will help keep stains off this beautiful creation.

Enjoy!!!!

delma