Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever added Crochet onto a quilt.. sounds crazy I know... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-added-crochet-onto-quilt-sounds-crazy-i-know-t192879.html)

irenecarter 06-28-2012 09:32 AM

that is gerogeous. yes, I agree crochet is becoming a lost art in a lot of families. I too think it would be beautiful with a cream color under neath, with a cream swril added to the material to make it bigger for a queen. But using it as a table cloth or even a throw is great too.

kimv44 06-28-2012 10:23 AM

Thank you all for such thoughtful replies. I have discussed all the ideas with my sister-in-law. She and I both agree.. we're going to keep it as is and try it out on a table first, then we'll either find someone who can finish the edges or simply leave it the way it is. My biggest concern is the stretching.. you've all made good points, the crochet stretches much differently than fabric.

My sister-in-law knew my mother was making it for her but thought after all this time it was lost forever.. so she's just thrilled that she'll finally have the gift that my mother wanted her to have. She just had her first grand daughter and is looking forward to handing it down some day...

jcrafty1s, I'm sorry, there is no pattern. I'm not even sure if she ever used one.. : ) She passed away approx 30 years ago and I was just a child so I'm not certain where all that has gone. I've got closer photos of it if you'd like me to send you those?

Thank you ladies!

kyquiltlover1942 06-28-2012 10:44 AM

I agree with quiltE. I have several crocheyt bedspreads and I always put a pastal sheet under them because I like the look. A nice store bought crochet lace around the underlay might set it off enough

OKLAHOMA PEACH 06-28-2012 11:26 AM

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Your the artist, it will come. please show finished product.

twinkie 06-28-2012 12:11 PM

I crochet all the time and think this is totally workable. The tablecloth is beautiful. If you were to use a contrasting background color so as to bring out the design, it would be beautifful. You could then do a coordinating fabric or fabrics in perhaps a pinwheel or just do a whole cloth background fabric. I am sure it would be beautiful. Good Luck

debbieoh 06-28-2012 03:02 PM

beautiful. I'd keep in very simple . maybe work in the stars that seem to show on what you did so far. would love to see what you do with it

katesnanna 06-28-2012 04:42 PM

That is beautiful. Such a shame that it's been in a box all that time. As Tartan says what about using it as a table cloth (or even an over cloth.) I'm so glad you've taken it out because your mother must have spent hours doing this.

palmetto girl 06-28-2012 05:09 PM

What a beautiful peiece you have. I have a beautiful lace crocheted table cloth. made by a dear friend, that fits my large dining table, which I enjoy because I can change the look for any season by changing the color of the material I put under it. Same could be done with that on a table or bed.

tanzanita 06-28-2012 05:18 PM

I made a quilt for my son and DIL where I used crocheted doileys appliqued to some of the blocks. I was trying to create snowflakes. Looked pretty good to me. I think it can really be beautiful worked into a quilt.

Honey58 06-29-2012 11:21 PM

Beautiful !! In the past I have draped my Crochet tablecloth over our old Piano to show it off.. and it has been always noticed and admired . just sharing .