Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-t252518.html)

Tippysmom 08-26-2014 09:24 AM

Has anyone ever...

Traded down for a machine versus trading up? Or is that a dumb question??

Renate

bj 08-26-2014 09:28 AM

My machine is so basic it would be hard to trade down (0: but I like few frills. Not as much to fowl up!

calla 08-26-2014 09:30 AM

Not dumb, my friend sold her long arm because sewing for $$$ wasn't fun for her. When mine bites the dust I most likely have to go down, since no longer working and the price has gone up on the machines as well as the software. In addition they got bigger and heavier .

nanna-up-north 08-26-2014 09:38 AM

I usually don't trade down.... I just buy older, simple machines and find that I like them better than the fancy, costly ones. In fact, my $$$$ Viking doesn't get used much any more.... just when I need the open arm. And, that's hardly ever.

ManiacQuilter2 08-26-2014 10:26 AM

I have only bought 3 sewing machines in my life and I have all three still.

Tippysmom 08-26-2014 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6860957)
I usually don't trade down.... I just buy older, simple machines and find that I like them better than the fancy, costly ones. In fact, my $$$$ Viking doesn't get used much any more.... just when I need the open arm. And, that's hardly ever.

I do have a FW, an older Kenmore, a Bernina, and a Babylock. The BL has lots of wonderful features, but I don't LOVE IT, esp. the embroidery function. Would rather have a BL SEWING machine, not the embroidery.

I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and sell it. I don't see any other way around it.

LivelyLady 08-26-2014 11:25 AM

I have a Janome, bought 6 years ago and my Kenmore bought 30 years ago. They are still going strong and can't justify spending big bucks for a new machine. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but i do like the function needle down.

Jingle 08-26-2014 01:15 PM

I have two straight stitch machines that I use regularly. That is all I need, I have older machines for fancy stitches but, don't use them.

ann31039 08-26-2014 03:08 PM

If you don't like, don't keep it. There is no joy in sewing on a machine you don't like.

peaceandjoy 08-26-2014 03:18 PM

Although I personally haven't, I know people who have b/c they thought they wanted embroidery and found that they just didn't use it. Same for the stitch regulating machines (sorry, while I know Bernina's are called BSR for Bernina Stitch Regulator, I don't remember what Pfaff or other manufacturer's call theirs).

I won't deny that when I see those shiny new machines, or a friend gets one, that I don't think for a minute or two that I want one. Then I remember that I have two Berninas - one bought as my splurge for myself after my dad passed and left a bit of money, the other bought used as it is a smaller machine for travel, classes, sew-ins - that I love as much as the day I got them. They sew beautifully and finding a new one that sews as well but does not have bells and whistles I don't want would be difficult anyhow.