Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-t62204.html)

anicra 08-30-2010 11:14 AM

Hi Everyone,

This site is such a fount of information that I just had to come here with my question:

Has anyone put a double layer of Warm and Natural Cotton batting in their quilt? I'm making a lap quilt for a dear friend and was wondering about putting in a double layer of Warm and Natural. It doesn't seem to make it too fluffy, but I was wondering what some of the pitfalls (as well as the advantages) were if I double the batting. I will be machine quilting it myself with probably a meandering type of stitch. Will it be too difficult to sew through? I would value any insight you have to give. Thanks in advance, Joanne

Prism99 08-30-2010 11:20 AM

I wouldn't do that. Warm n Natural is a relatively heavy batting to start with; doubling it would make the quilt considerably more heavy.

Are you looking for more loft? If so, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 would likely provide you with more loft without increasing weight.

Rebecca VLQ 08-30-2010 11:21 AM

Yes. I have. Twice.

If you don't have a frame, it gets VERY unwieldly. I did one oversized "lap" one for my friend's mom last year, and then I did one for my DD's quilt for college. Both have health problems that cause them to be cold. My DD's was an oversized twin. After trying to stuff that through my standard machine, I bought a frame and a new Juki. :lol:

anicra 08-30-2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I wouldn't do that. Warm n Natural is a relatively heavy batting to start with; doubling it would make the quilt considerably more heavy.

Are you looking for more loft? If so, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 would likely provide you with more loft without increasing weight.

Yes, my first thoughts were to make it puffier - or at least be able to show a little more dimension with the quilting. I'm not familiar with the Hobbs but I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks!

anicra 08-30-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Yes. I have. Twice.

If you don't have a frame, it gets VERY unwieldly. I did one oversized "lap" one for my friend's mom last year, and then I did one for my DD's quilt for college. Both have health problems that cause them to be cold. My DD's was an oversized twin. After trying to stuff that through my standard machine, I bought a frame and a new Juki. :lol:

I don't have a frame but I do have a Janome that has a large space to the point that I've quilted a king-size quilt on it with not too much trouble. Did you have trouble sewing through both layers?

I wanted this quilt to be warm - my friend lives in snowy Maine!!

Prism99 08-30-2010 11:56 AM

Hobbs Heirloom wool or Quilters Dream wool would both be very warm and light. Wool is more expensive than cotton, though, and has its own problems -- especially potential bearding through dark fabrics.

I have lived most of my life in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are used to layering. I would rather layer a blanket underneath a quilt than try to sleep under a quilt that is very heavy. Some people like really heavy quilts, but I think most people are like me and prefer medium weight quilts.

Sadiemae 08-30-2010 12:07 PM

A lot of people will use a layer of wool batting and a layer of warm and natural together.

MinnieKat 08-30-2010 01:28 PM

I have doubled the Warm and Natural and didn't have any problems .... but I did mine on a Long Arm.

tooMuchFabric 08-30-2010 01:47 PM

Doubling the Warm and Natural does not lend more puffiness, only weight. Which is perfect if you want a really heavy, dense quilt.
One of our group made one for her DH. He loved it, she would not let him put it on their bed, too hot and heavy.
She sent it out to be quilted rather than try to hand quilt it herself.

raptureready 08-30-2010 02:02 PM

If you want a lap quilt that would be really warm try using polar fleece inside it. I've done this with tied quilts and used the polar fleece for backing. My friend that was dying of cancer and couldn't seem to get warm loved it. So did the next person I allowed to use it. At least I guess she did because she stole it.