Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-used-clover-mini-iron-t232765.html)

sak658 10-19-2013 01:19 PM

I have tried mine one time..not near hot enough..put it back in the drawer...just made me a covered tv tray to sit by my sewing cabinet and use regular iron..after reading now I might try it again..by heating up several times...

Jan in VA 10-19-2013 02:40 PM

There is a student who uses the Clover mini iron for her piecing in all the workshops she takes with me....she hates to get in line for the big iron in the back of the room! (Can't say I blame her!)

Jan in VA

Jackie Spencer 10-19-2013 03:51 PM

I have one, and I like it, gets hot and stays hot. Every once in awhile I piece a block where the seams need to be ironed opened and I use it for that among other things.

Central Ohio Quilter 10-19-2013 04:44 PM

I have one and I like it a lot for sewing doll clothes. There is no way to press those little seams without it!

grandmasieg 10-19-2013 07:05 PM

I have the mini clover iron and I have it set up on a table with an ironing pad beside my sewing machine. I use it for pressing seems open when I'm doing paper piecing (I like to press my seems open when I paper piece). I don't have to get up to go to the "big" iron when I'm making my blocks. I got mine 50% off at Joanns a few years ago. No attachments, just the mini iron. I make clothes for my daughter's sock monkeys (yes, she's 37!!!!) and it's great for those little seams.

Suze9395 10-19-2013 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 6356944)
I have one, used it, hated it, now it takes up space in my sewing room. Wouldn't get hot enough.

I had the same experience.

nanacc 10-19-2013 08:08 PM

I have one, used it, hated it, now it takes up space in my sewing room. Wouldn't get hot enough. Have since got the petite press and love it. The handle is adjustable.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the petite press at JoAnn's and with the coupon, it would be a good deal. May have to try it, since I cannot get the fusible off my clover....really cooked it!

lwbuchholz 10-20-2013 02:51 AM

My daughter bought me one and I love it! I don't use it a lot but when I need something for small spaces like delicate appliques it is priceless. Mine gets hot so no problem there!
Lynda

Originally Posted by Bullock2us (Post 6356918)
My mom does alot of doll clothes and barbie clothes making-thought maybe this would be a good Christmas gift for her so she didn't have to have her big iron out all the time. Has anyone used one? Is it worth buying the one with all the attachments? Any help I can get in making this decision I would appreciate-Thanks

no1jan 10-20-2013 02:54 AM

I have one, used it, hated it, now it takes up space in my sewing room. Wouldn't get hot enough. Have since got the petite press and love it. The handle is adjustable.

I agree for the same reason. Mine has been sitting in the drawer. I had better luck with a travel iron that I got off Craigslist for $5.00.

Butterfli19 10-20-2013 03:21 AM

I bought one a few years back for this very thing - doll clothes. Mine is temp controlled and it gets freaking hot! I would recommend it and would also recommend a holder for it because the little wire clover stand can be wobbly, especially if you have little feet toddling around.