Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever used the Spiral Eyed Needle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-used-spiral-eyed-needle-t30679.html)

Ninnie 12-02-2009 06:40 AM

Doesn't sound like something i would want then, not at those prices!

PamTurner 12-04-2009 10:30 AM

I am thrilled to see the conversations about my needle on the web. The eye of the Spiral Eye needle is "cut" out and that can leave sharp edges. We do have a deburring process, but once in a while one gets through that shreds thread. I do replace those whenever someone tells me they have that. I ask for the bad one back so we can look under a microscope to figure out ways to improve the process.

Tiffany 12-04-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by PamTurner
I am thrilled to see the conversations about my needle on the web. The eye of the Spiral Eye needle is "cut" out and that can leave sharp edges. We do have a deburring process, but once in a while one gets through that shreds thread. I do replace those whenever someone tells me they have that. I ask for the bad one back so we can look under a microscope to figure out ways to improve the process.

Well how cool is that!?!

I imagine you could take a fingernail file or emery board and file down any of the rough spots you find. I've heard of others doing this to regular needles when it has a rough spot from being punched when making the hole. I've never done it though so I don't know personally if this works well or not.

Actually, after burying a ton of thread knots from machine quilting, I'm definitely going to put this needle on my "To Get" list! It'd also make a great gift for a few of my friends who do a lot of machine quilting.

PamTurner 12-04-2009 10:37 AM

Oh, also, to explain the cost I have to ask you to forget it is a needle and think of it as a solution. Needles are all made cheaply overseas, plated with nickel and made by low wage earners. My needles are made in Minnesota where the shop time is $75/hr. It was a political/emotional choice I made to have my needles made in the US. The down side is the cost.

However, having said that, I have had needle manufacturers appoach me and when they try to find someon who can make the eye they back out because they cannot get it done anywhere. Most manufacturing companies wonder how I can get them made so cheaply.

I understand the cost hits people hard, but honestly, I don't have much profit in it. That is why you don't see them in a lot of stores. I cannot give the stores the mark up they want because my costs are so high.

Buy them or not, but just know I am doing everything I can to make the best product available.

PamTurner 12-04-2009 10:40 AM

Spiral Eye Needles can be smoothed or even sharpened with an emery board because they are solid surgical stainless steel. The shredding she was talking about occurs inside the eye where the cutting edge is not knocked down. Sometimes running wire or plastic fishing line back and forth inside takes the burr off.

Traditional needles will rust if you use an emery board on them.

amma 12-04-2009 03:11 PM

Thank you Pam for explaining this to us!!! Some of my quilts I have to bury knots and I think this would make it much easier and quicker. I appreciate that you will take a needle back if there is a burr. I don't mind purchasing a needle that is going to last me a long time with this kind of guarantee :D :D :D

NiceNCLady 12-04-2009 03:39 PM

I've used them and they are bad for shredding your thread. Also, they aren't sharp to me. I've tried sharpening them a little on an emery board and it helps a little but they still are not sharp at all. For burying knots the old fashion kind seem to work better for me. I have two I'll give someone for the asking. Just PM me with your address.

Tiffany 12-04-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by PamTurner
Spiral Eye Needles can be smoothed or even sharpened with an emery board because they are solid surgical stainless steel. The shredding she was talking about occurs inside the eye where the cutting edge is not knocked down. Sometimes running wire or plastic fishing line back and forth inside takes the burr off.

Traditional needles will rust if you use an emery board on them.

I did not know that. Interesting!

I think when I do get a chance to order one (it'll have to be after the holidays), I'll take it to my local guild meeting and brag about it. Hopefully that will help generate some sales for you. I know of several gals who would just love something like this, besides myself that is. :lol:

BellaBoo 12-04-2009 03:47 PM

Thanks Pam! I will now think of the story behind the needles when I see them. Hobby Lobby has them here and I will buy a package. I like your quilting spirit, you are doing something for sewers and I for one will support your efforts.

nellebelles 12-04-2009 06:19 PM

PM sent! Thanks! :-D