Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a quilt with minky, flannel and cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-quilt-minky-flannel-cotton-t305807.html)

copycat 07-17-2019 01:54 AM

Has anyone made a quilt with minky, flannel and cotton?

A friend gifted me lots of minky fabric scraps.

When I am sewing minky squares next to flannel and cotton squares, do I need to stabilize the minky first to keep it from stretching? If so, what do I use for stabilizer? I wasn't sure if I can mix all these different fabrics together as they shrink at different rates? Thanks for your tips !

jmoore 07-17-2019 02:35 AM

I’ve only used milky as a backing and did not need any stabilizer...I simply quilted it with a walking foot.

Quilter 53 07-17-2019 08:23 AM

Ditto jmoore. My biggest problem with minky was all the loose fibers flying all over the place. Think I was blowing my nose for hours afterwards. But since you are working with scraps, maybe it won't be as big of a problem.

bearisgray 07-17-2019 09:35 AM

If everything has been shrunk before cutting it, no need to worry about uneven shrinkage.

suern3 07-17-2019 01:52 PM

No you don't need to use stabilizer on minky. I shouldn't stretch with normal handling. If you are using a large piece for backing it could possibly stretch if pulled too much. I've used it many times with no problems. It does not shrink. I have used 5 inch squares made from leftover trimmings for borders on cotton and flannel quilts. I do wash flannel before using since it can shrink quite a bit. I made a rag quilt for my DD with flannel, cotton and flannel squares. It washes beautifully and is very soft and cozy. I sew an x across each block to hold things in place.

Bueniebabe 07-18-2019 12:00 AM

I have mine all pined and will sew it out on my deck because my dog will try to eat what falls off

klswift 07-18-2019 07:51 AM

First - you can use anything in a quilt - think back to all the quilts made from whatever the people could find. If you are worried about different shrinkage, wash everything hot and high dryer heat - shrinkage will be complete. Then, if the squares are big enough to be concerned with stretching, use a lightweight fusible stabilizer similar to one you would use for a T-Shirt top. If the squares are 'regular' size or smaller, the quilting will probably hold them in place without using a stabilizer. Quilts are to be fun to make, to be creative, to try new things. The worst case scenario is that you absolutely do not like the result, so you donate it - someone will treasure it - so it is still a win-win.

QuiltnNan 07-18-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 8278336)
First - you can use anything in a quilt - think back to all the quilts made from whatever the people could find. If you are worried about different shrinkage, wash everything hot and high dryer heat - shrinkage will be complete. Then, if the squares are big enough to be concerned with stretching, use a lightweight fusible stabilizer similar to one you would use for a T-Shirt top. If the squares are 'regular' size or smaller, the quilting will probably hold them in place without using a stabilizer. Quilts are to be fun to make, to be creative, to try new things. The worst case scenario is that you absolutely do not like the result, so you donate it - someone will treasure it - so it is still a win-win.

I agree with this good advice

copycat 07-19-2019 02:16 AM

Thanks for your input everyone! Nothing ventured , nothing gained, so I will pre-shrink the flannel and cotton and do a test block to see how the minky pieces without stabilizer. If need be, I will back the minky with light weight fusible.

I appreciate the feedback...and away I go!

Sneed 07-19-2019 06:55 AM

I often use minky in quilts and don't use any stabilizer. Just like the look that it gives to a quilt top. I do stitch twice one seam very, very close to the other just because I think it keeps raveling to a minimum. Don't know if that's necessary, or not. Flannel would be good, too. I just don't come across it that often. I back chemo quilts with minky and always have scraps.