Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a silk quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-silk-quilt-t269060.html)

Manalto 08-22-2015 04:25 AM

Has anyone made a silk quilt?

There's a store in my region where all fabric is $2.99 per yard. You never know what they're going to get and, if you see something you like, you'd better snap it up - and be sure you get enough because there's a good chance it will be gone if you return for that extra yard. They got a big delivery of silks recently and I bought a lot, figuring I won't see silk for $3 a yard again anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm thinking that silk would make a luxurious quilt and wondered if anyone here has made one and had tips about its construction. Is cotton batting best or should I look for wool or silk? I know silk is not as durable as cotton, particularly regarding abrasion but since this would be a luxury quilt it's meant to be enjoyed until it gives up the ghost. (But then, isn't everything?)

James

PaperPrincess 08-22-2015 04:39 AM

I'm very interested in this thread. I've been threatening to make a silk quilt for several years. I got a BUNCH of washable silk men's shirts for a buck each. I have also purchased a bolt of featherweight fusible interfacing and have picked out a pattern, but even though the shirts are recycled, I'm afraid to start...

earthwalker 08-22-2015 05:08 AM

Maybe EPP rather than machine sewn (seeing as its a special one). I have worked with some tie silk but not a quilt. Maybe bamboo batting would be good.

hairquilt 08-22-2015 05:11 AM

My friend made a silk tie quilt using foundation squares. Had silk and brocade borders. It turned out Awesome!! Starched the silk but still very slippery!

RN-Quilter 08-22-2015 05:12 AM

My SIL made a quilt with a combination of silk and bridal satin....it looks very rich and luxurious. Her hubby doesn't like it, because it slips off the bed :)

Manalto 08-22-2015 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter (Post 7293631)
My SIL made a quilt with a combination of silk and bridal satin....it looks very rich and luxurious. Her hubby doesn't like it, because it slips off the bed :)

Maybe she should have weighted it down with beans. But seriously... the silk I got is mostly matte finish, so it may not be as slippery as satin.

Originally Posted by earthwalker (Post 7293624)
Maybe EPP rather than machine sewn (seeing as its a special one)... Maybe bamboo batting would be good.

What's EPP? I assume it's handmade but don't see the letter "H"

What's the advantage of bamboo batting? (Other than sustainability.)

Buckeye Rose 08-22-2015 05:56 AM

Have used silk in clothing and found that it ravels very easily and quickly, the seams don't like to be pressed and just a general hard to work with.

Tartan 08-22-2015 06:13 AM

​There is a lovely whole cloth baby quilt done with satin on QB. Use the search box and type in the title..... You must see this quilt-by Harriet. It was posted by hcarpanini. I would do either a whole cloth with silk or a pattern with large pieces so you can control the seams fraying.

ManiacQuilter2 08-22-2015 06:14 AM

Were not crazy quilts made out of velvet and silks??

Manalto 08-22-2015 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7293708)
Were not crazy quilts made out of velvet and silks??

That's the first quilt I ever saw. When I was a kid, a family friend bought one from an estate sale. Deep rich colors in, as you say, velvet and silk. There was embroidery joining the pieces; I recall gold (color, not metallic) thread on purple velvet. It was sumptuous. The texture of the pile fabrics would keep the quilt from being too slippery, as an entirely silk one would be.