Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a T-shirt quilt ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-t-shirt-quilt-t190000.html)

Chris Anders 05-25-2012 01:03 PM

Has anyone made a T-shirt quilt ?

I want to make a T-Shirt quilt but have no idea how to do it. I am looking for any advise.

Pamela Alsbury 05-25-2012 01:08 PM

I'm getting ready to start one and you can find a tutorial on you tube thats where i looked

liont 05-25-2012 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did this last Christmas, with T shirts my ds2 worn from 3 yo to 7 yo. My son refuses to throw away his worn out shirts (he is a sentimental boy), so I thought a T shirt quilt might do the trick. I did this real fast, not meant to be an heirloom or anything!

I squared the centers and added sashing. I tried my best to center, but it is hard for some of them because the smaller sized shirts have the armholes closer together.
Also, the knit material is wobbly, so I added a fusible stablizer.
Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]337895[/ATTACH]

Homespun 05-25-2012 02:35 PM

It really isn't hard. Check out u tube first. More than one if you can find and then put on your thinking cap!

suern3 05-25-2012 03:21 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a quick tutorial on you tube that is helpful and then I also bought an Eleanor Burns pattern called T-Shirt Quilt that is very helpful. I'm a pattern sort of person even if I don't follow it exactly, it is very good. It has some unique ideas for using jerseys with buttons and also the smaller t-shirt logos. Just depends the amount of information you like. I'm just finishing one for grandson that includes his pre-high school baseball shirts and jerseys. He will be a junior this fall, so I see another one in the future with his high school shirts. I haven't taken a picture of it yet so can't post one. Hoping to do the quilt "sandwich" step this week-end. I'm really happy with the way it is turning out.

MaryMo 05-25-2012 03:25 PM

liont, I love this quilt ... and sure hope it will be a heirloom after your son grows tired of it! I like the variety of sashings around the t-shirt squares ... and then the borders. What great ideas!

Quilter 65 05-25-2012 04:05 PM

That is a great memory quilt for him.

Tweety2911 05-25-2012 04:32 PM

The most important thing to use is an iron on stabilizer to the back of your t-shirt squares to keep them from stretching out of shape. Check online for "How to make a Tee shirt quilt. www.straw.com/quilting/articles/teequilts.html

hopetoquilt 05-27-2012 05:37 PM

use the search here for pictures and you will get lots of ideas. If the portions of the t-shirts that you want to cut out are equal in size, you might want to use the shadowbox pattern on it. I saw one that came out looking so cool. If they differ drastically in size, you may want to use 12.5, 6.5, and 3.5 inch (unfinished block sizes).

leggz48 05-27-2012 06:28 PM

I made a T-shirt quilt several years ago from promotional t-shirts from where I worked. Be sure to use an iron-on stabilizer BEFORE you cut the block because the T-shirt fabric will roll up on you.....bad! French Fusion is a great light weight option. I also used shirt pocket emblems in a 4 patch as well as some elongated images stitched together separated by sashing to make all blocks equal. However, I saw a t-shirt quilt made by putting the images together in a collage effect. It was really cool.....outside the box for sure. Good luck; you will learn a lot as you go.