Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone tried this with EQ Printables or other fabric sheets? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-tried-eq-printables-other-fabric-sheets-t58308.html)

Quiltgranny 08-07-2010 02:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to whip up a wedding pillow for a young couple that is getting married in a couple of weeks. This pillow will include a photo of the couple and part of their wedding invitation.

When I went to pull out a sheet of my EQ Printable inkjet fabric sheets, I find I only have some leftover scraps, not a complete 8.5 x 11" page. My question is this - do you suppose I could get away with taping two smaller pieces of this printable inkjet fabric to another piece of copy paper? Then, when I make my label on the computer, I'd just take care to line up my photo, etc. so they will print right where I have the scraps taped to the copy paper.

What do you folks think of this idea? Also, what suggestions might you have for embellishing this wedding pillow? I made one several years ago with one photo, some specialty laces and sewed on a charm of wedding rings.

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:

denilynne 08-09-2010 04:39 AM

I have printed photos on regular fabric, i just iron it to freezer paper and it goes right through my printer, be sure to set the ink when its done, there is a product i've heard mentioned here but i can't think what it is. but the freezer paper and fabric works great. just cut it 8 1/2 by 11

Quiltgranny 08-09-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by denilynne
I have printed photos on regular fabric, i just iron it to freezer paper and it goes right through my printer, be sure to set the ink when its done, there is a product i've heard mentioned here but i can't think what it is. but the freezer paper and fabric works great. just cut it 8 1/2 by 11

Thanks so much for your great info. Since I'm short on those supplies and time, and I have the printable fabric scraps, I think I need to stick with that idea for this project. I haven't tried your method, and since this is a wedding gift, I want to be sure of the results.

Your reply is greatly appreciated. Have a great week. :thumbup:

ckcowl 08-09-2010 09:37 AM

if you decide to try this make sure you really adhere your edges well before sending it through the printer, the problem i see trying to use these scraps is the un-even-ness caused by different layers...raised edges on the paper; catching as it goes through. if you can really perhaps tape all the way around each piece so there is no chance of catching. remember there are rollers inside the printer that will 'grab' the paper, if there is any uneven-different thicknesses you could cause a jam and have a heck of a time getting the pieces back out. i have had problems in the past just sending muslin on freezer paper through that was not secure around the edges.

Fabaddict 08-09-2010 09:51 AM

I have used half sheets of the prepared fabric sheets and had no problem with my printer
And the stuff you use to set your ink is Bubble Jet - comes in a good size bottle that will do an awful lot of fabric.

Jackey in MO

Quiltgranny 08-09-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I have used half sheets of the prepared fabric sheets and had no problem with my printer
And the stuff you use to set your ink is Bubble Jet - comes in a good size bottle that will do an awful lot of fabric.

Jackey in MO

Thanks so much for your reply. I've thought of the Bubble Jet products, but I just don't do that much photo transfer to make it worth my while. That's why I buy the EQ Printables to have on hand when I do have a project to do.

I'm planning on using a piece that's 4 x 6" piece of the printable fabric paper. I wonder if I can just put it through like I would a piece of photo paper like when I print pictures?

Fabaddict 08-09-2010 12:42 PM

I did with the small piece I had, just make sure you put it in on the side of the printer that is going to print on the fabric.Some printers print opposite of what you think they are going to do. I have also taped it at the top all the way across on a piece of paper when I used a really small piece. 4 x 6 should present no problem

Quiltgranny 08-09-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I did with the small piece I had, just make sure you put it in on the side of the printer that is going to print on the fabric.Some printers print opposite of what you think they are going to do. I have also taped it at the top all the way across on a piece of paper when I used a really small piece. 4 x 6 should present no problem

Well, it does sound doable. Thanks for sharing your experience and warnings with me. I have to stop and think every time I print things. :lol: