Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the fuisble quilt batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-tried-fuisble-quilt-batting-t77731.html)

KookNKwilt 11-21-2010 05:59 AM

When machine quilting I have always used 505 spray. It works well, but I don't care what they say, it DOES gum up the needle a little. That is very frustrating!
I recently saw fusible quilt batting at JoAnn's and I bought some. Haven't tried it yet. Any tips??

SherriB 11-21-2010 06:03 AM

I bought some by mistake at Michael's and took it back. There is no way that I could get it ironed on without a ton of wrinkles. I am way to un-coordinate to even try. :lol:

candi 11-21-2010 06:17 AM

I've used Mountain Mist fusible batting and liked it OK. It does take effort to sandwich without wrinkles, but so does pinning. It helps if you have a big surface for ironing, and I still pinned around the outer edges, it worked fine with no puckers.

What I don't like about that specific fusible batting I used is that I had to quilt it no more than 2'' apart, that is a lot of quilting for me, especially that with the Dream Cotton I use, I quilt up to 10'' apart.

Forgot to say, I didn't have any problems with needle gumming up. And used on a 50'' square wall hanging.

janRN 11-21-2010 06:17 AM

I also bought some by mistake but decided to use it on a wall hanging. I was sort of afraid it wouldnt' iron on smoothly so I laid it out on the table and pinned about 6-8 inches apart then I took it and ironed taking the pins out as I ironed. It was ok-I think you're supposed to be able to do it without pinning first but how would you make sure it was flat? I can't see doing anything large. Hopefully someone else has a better answer than mine. Maybe if you could iron on the floor or very large table you could do a whole quilt--I couldn't.

gollytwo 11-21-2010 06:54 AM

I've used 2 different brands from Joanns for baby quilts
Very easy to use up to lap size. I wouldn't try anything larger unless I had connecting tables large enough to hold the entire quilt. And, even then I probably wouldn't use one.

One of the brands (sorry, I don't remember the names) was so stiff, like a board. Washed it after quilting and binding, hoping - came out soft as the other brand.

KimmieH 11-21-2010 07:05 AM

i purhcase five of them thru connec threads..im not happy with them and wouldnt get them again. i dont feel it adhered very well..and still ended up using 505 AND safety pins.
I still have a couple left, so will cut up smaller when making a table runner just to use them up..but not for a quilt.

Tinabodina 11-21-2010 07:23 AM

I did and I hated it. My needle got gummed up and it was hard to push the needle through.

oatw13 11-21-2010 07:32 AM

I used it on some place mats. It worked okay for that, but I wouldn't use it on anything much bigger. I also found that it did not hold for very long. Luckily, I was quilting it right away.

With the small pieces, it wasn't too bad getting all the pieces to lay flat. But, I can see where it would be harder on a larger piece.

amma 11-21-2010 09:18 AM

I don't care for them at all... I didn't like how they don't evenly adhere, and I had it separate from the top and the backing. :D:D:D

maryb119 11-21-2010 09:21 AM

I have used fusable batting on small project like purses and totebags but I have not used it on a quilt. I like it for the smaller project but i think it would be very akward to work with for the larger ones.