Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new technique for cutting half-square triangles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-tried-new-technique-cutting-half-square-triangles-t59986.html)

newjeepgreen 08-20-2010 01:05 PM

Sasiemae is your quilt on your forum bargello or is it dont in strips. It is absolutely beautiful. ta

nana katie 08-20-2010 02:04 PM

I used Rhonda's Tute and they turned out the best ever,and no streching.

purplefiend 08-20-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
Oh my goodness ! I just watched the video. that lady waving an open rotary cutter around gave me the chills ! and not using a ruler to cut those lines ??yike, what a recipe for a really nasty accident. can you imagine your blade angling across & ruining all that fabric--let alone cutting yourself!
sorry if I rant--but cutter safety becomes more important after you see a nasty "accident".
these are bias-square HSTs with a technique first shown by
Marsha McCloskey years ago. early method is very accurate for smaller units,especialy if you have a lot of them to produce, but a little hard to understand until you do it.

I totally agree with you about her handling of the rotary
cutter, I cringed at the way she was waving it around and
not closing it when she put it down. When I was teaching quilting classes I made sure my students practiced rotary
cutter safety, only had one accident in 5 years and I was
the casualty.

tammystitches 08-20-2010 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also go to the Thangles when I need to make half square triangles .. Made a Hunters Star Quilt using Thangles

All Thumbs 08-20-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue

Originally Posted by MNM

Originally Posted by joy
4 MNM... sounds easy, so that means that where you cut, all the seams after that will be on the bias !!! You will have to be careful....

You are OH so right and you have to be careful when you iron them open, don't stretch them. Can be done if you are careful. And they are very fast to make and mine seem to be all the same size and fit together just great.

MNM

I was thinking, if you cut the squares "on point", then you would have the edges on the straight grain.

Fantastic idea! Thanks! And do not forget ladies, if you cut with a large wide ruler to wear a cutting glove! I also use one of those suction cup hand guards for a shower attached to my ruler as a handle. Works great and remains safe.

Linda58 08-21-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mumzbear
My daughter bought a new template for making perfect half square triangles at a quilt show last week.
HALF SQUARE TRIANGLE TEMPLATES: Introducing a new template technique for cutting faster, more accurate half square triangles.
I watched the tutorial at

http://templatetechniques.com

I was very impressed as I always have a problem keeping them from stretching. I would like opinions from other quilters as to what they think of this method.

Thanks Munzbear,
I love these templates. I always have a hard time sewing them together and getting a perfect square. I just ordered them!!

quilting grammy 08-24-2010 05:21 PM

i just ordered one.....love it..the woman who makes them seems real nice. thanks for the info.

GrannieAnnie 08-25-2010 05:30 PM

I put two squares face to face (each slightly bigger than ending HST), draw a line diagonally, sew a quarter of an inch along each side of line, cut on line, fold out, iron and do a final trim.

argranny 08-25-2010 09:18 PM

Thangles, they are easy and work great.

quiltlady1941 08-27-2010 08:39 AM

That looks like it has to many steps for me.

I use the wonder cut ruler and I love it. It makes perfect HST everytime & fast,it also make three part squares & lots of other ones.

Check it out at.. htt://www.wondercutruler.com

I have no connections with this ruler I just like it and use it a lot.