Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone use faux suede in a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-use-faux-suede-quilt-t299026.html)

psquared52 08-20-2018 03:35 PM

Has anyone use faux suede in a quilt?

I've been asked to make a quilt using a tooled suede fabric. Fabric content is 46.5% polyester, 38.5% rayon & 15% polyurethane and is machine washable. I have not sewn with faux suede before and am not sure if it's even feasible to make a quilt with this fabric. I found some sewing guidelines for clothes, purses, etc but not quilts. I also have concerns about mixing it with cotton due to the different weights. Anyone have any thoughts?

osewfast 08-20-2018 03:42 PM

I used 'suede cloth' on a large Teddy Bear applique in a baby quilt many years ago. I remember it sewed very easily - no raveling, and anything to worry about. I think I was extra careful when pressing it - didn't want to scorch the 'suede'. I zigzag/satin stitched the edges down. I don't think I had a lot of quilting on the applique though. More echoing around the applique than on it.

Don't know how it would mix as far as piecing it w/ cottons. You could always make a test block - something simple like a 9 patch, and then wash it to see how it behaves. =)

Good Luck!
Donna Mc

QuiltE 08-20-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by osewfast (Post 8114055)
...........You could always make a test block - something simple like a 9 patch, and then wash it to see how it behaves. =).....

Ditto .... give it a try.
It may be wise to make a block from the actual pattern you have been asked to make,
so you can see how it works with all the seams and any other details in the pattern.

I'd suggest taking it one step further and finish off your test block/project as a mini quilt,
to see how the quilting goes, and what you learn from that step.
No sense making a quilt ... and then discovering that it would be unquiltable!

While not in a quilt, what I have used was very nice to work with, so to me it seems quite do-able.
Just be sure you know any special instructions, such as pressing.
My recollections are that it pressed well, but had to be from the wrong side, and a lower heat.

However, there are different types and weights of faux suede,
so the trial run with the actual fabric would be important step.

ckcowl 08-21-2018 02:42 AM

It is very easy to sew and holds up well. I used it with other cottons and flannels no problems with any of it. I machine embroidered some of the suede blocks they were beautiful.

psquared52 08-21-2018 05:25 AM

Thank you to those who have encouraged me to try this quilt. I'll pick up some of the fabric and make a mini quilt so I see how it sews and quilts.

quilterpurpledog 08-21-2018 07:42 AM

I have used lots of ultra-suede (man made and probably the fiber content you mentioned) in a number of wall hangings and it worked wonderfully well. I would give it a try in a sample to see what you think. Lots of wonderful techniques are discovered by a little experimentation. Go for it.

Quilter 53 08-21-2018 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this duvet cover for my daughter at least 10 years ago I think. It has held up well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599855[/ATTACH],
The mustard yellow is suede, the dark green is velvet, the solid purple is faux suede and the paisley is some sort of synthetic. The most "stable" fabric to work with was the faux suede. I didn't own a serger back then, but I think it would have solved a lot of problems. I didn't know about stabilizers, Teflon feet, walking foot, stitching with wax paper and so many other tricks back then, so there were a lot of headaches, cuss words, and general complaints about letting my daughter talk me into this. But the look on her face when I gave it to her completed was worth all the bad. She put her down comforter inside and immediately put it on her bed!
Not sure how big this will post, but it is also in my album under my profile page for a better look.