Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone used the stripstick? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-used-stripstick-t245374.html)

Cogito 04-18-2014 06:35 AM

Has anyone used the stripstick?

I am curious if anyone has used these stripsticks I see advertised? I assumed they were similar to a pressing pad but was surprised when I saw a video and they were stiff like a wood stick. I am curious if you have one do you like it and also is it just tightly filled with sand/ saw dust or is it really stiff like a wood stick?

AliKat 04-18-2014 07:08 AM

I have seen them used and I personally don't think they are worth it. I use a sleeve ham type of thing for the same purpose . The sleeve ham elevates the fabric more and there isn't a chance of getting a pucker or wrinkle while ironing. The strips really don't elevate the material enough for a lot of people ... I saw where one woman ironed in her mistake while not paying attention.

That is my preference. Others may not agree, but it works for me. Also I can easily find my colored sleeve ham with a quick glance.

Scissor Queen 04-18-2014 07:09 AM

They are half round wood sticks covered with a thin batting and muslin. They're fabulous for ironing seams open or to one side. You can sew a strip set all from one end and have it come out perfectly straight if you use a strip stick to iron it.

ManiacQuilter2 04-18-2014 07:14 AM

Interesting concept. I have not yet seen one.

Onebyone 04-18-2014 09:31 AM

My guild retreat is paid for by the guild and the members are asked to bring gift to put in everyone's goody bag. One guild member's DH made a bunch of these from wood molding. The guild member made muslin sleeves slip the stick into. She gave everyone at our retreat a long one and a short one. I keep forgetting to use it and they are right by my ironing table. I do use a clapper on every seam so I can see where this would be a great time saver for long strip seams. I'll make a separate post as the contents of the goody bag are pretty nifty!

Sewnoma 04-18-2014 09:47 AM

I keep thinking I'm just going to make one for myself, but keep not doing it. I hate pressing seams open and it SEEMS like this would help, but I'm not willing to pay a bunch of money for something I can make so simply on my own (if I weren't so lazy/busy!)

Prism99 04-18-2014 09:51 AM

I love mine, especially for ironing seams open for strip sets. If you can find the half-round molding, it would be easy to make your own. I don't think there is any batting inside; just the half-round wood covered with a muslin sleeve.

Here is a link with video:
http://www.thestripstick.com/

auntpiggylpn 04-18-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6681485)
I keep thinking I'm just going to make one for myself, but keep not doing it. I hate pressing seams open and it SEEMS like this would help, but I'm not willing to pay a bunch of money for something I can make so simply on my own (if I weren't so lazy/busy!)

About a month ago, I went to Lowes and Menards to get some half round to make myself one and neither one of them carries the half round anymore! They offered to special order it for me but there was a minimum pieces to do that and I didn't think I needed 10 pieces of half round!!

Prism99 04-18-2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6681656)
About a month ago, I went to Lowes and Menards to get some half round to make myself one and neither one of them carries the half round anymore! They offered to special order it for me but there was a minimum pieces to do that and I didn't think I needed 10 pieces of half round!!

Try online. I think I found it at Home Depot online awhile back.

TexasSunshine 04-18-2014 02:12 PM

DH made one for me. Just bought a piece of half round moulding, cut a 6 and 12 inch length. I covered it with muslin and it does work fine.