Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This has to be one of the Dumbest Questions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-one-dumbest-questions-t36545.html)

AnnaK 02-11-2010 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I get it. I must've missed the prior thread. For a minute I thougth we were saying to use 1/2 -1 inch seam allowance for a quilt. It's for a rag quilt, right? I'll tell you what happened to me. I made a christmas tree rag quilt for myself using a pattern and cut the "fringe" allowance 1" per the instructions. I then decided to make my grandson a smaller but identical pattern. Not thinking, I left a 1" "fringe" and found that for a smaller 'square', it was too big. It made the squares look like blocks. So, my advice is to check one or two blocks to see how your 'fringe' is going to look with your block size. you may have to go a little smaller or larger depending. I hope I made sense. here's the little quilt in my grandson's bdrm.

guehlein 02-11-2010 07:16 PM

One of the things I love about this group is being able to ask any question we have and not be made to feel stupid in the process. The spring scissors are hand savers - especially when you find out you can't make just one!!! Have fun and please post a picture when you finish.

zz-pd 02-11-2010 07:39 PM

I love this sit to, and Im sure when I start Quilting I will have a lot of question my self

SewExtremeSeams 02-11-2010 08:35 PM

Anna, your Christmas rag quilt looks cozy and beautiful. Thanks for sharing your photo with us. Linda

nannyrie 02-11-2010 09:06 PM

If you sew a 1/2" seam, make sure you do not cut into your seam when clipping, as your quilt will come apart. 1/4" cut is great, and if you cut 1/4" apart will give you a frilly rag. you can cut 1/2" apart for a more relaxed rag. Not sure what your pattern calls for,but you can rag the outer edge too, just make sure you sew 1/2" seam and clip like the rest of your quilt. Have fun!

sewin'sam 02-11-2010 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For a Rag quilt, use 1/2" seams. I have done several of them & I think 1/2" looks the best. Be careful clipping at corners. It's easy to cut the corners off! :roll: Cut down to just b4 the seam lines for them to curl right. On other quilts, a 1/4" quilt is the standard unless the directions tell you to do something different.
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! How else are you going to learn??
Here is my latest French Braid, almost finished but I can't decide how to quilt it?

French Braid for my G'dtr
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3418[/ATTACH]

Betty K 02-11-2010 10:11 PM

To reduce the amount of lint shed the first few times they're washed - before I snipped the seam allowance, I pulled some of the threads while I was watching tv. If you have a septic tank, its also good to wash it at a commercial laundromat as well as drying it there.

MillieH 02-12-2010 06:10 AM

Thanks, BettyK. I hadn't thought about the septic tank--and I have one, so it's off to the laundramat for me for wash and dry.